Flash use on a IIIf

jim_cain

I hooked up a Metz 34 CS-2 to a IIIf RD, set the shutter speed at 50 and the

flash went off. Then I noticed the dial below the shutter speed dial that I think

has something to do with the flash setup. It's marked in increments from 20

down to 0. Should I just leave it at "0" or what is the best setting? Is the shutter

speed "50" like an M? Before I put film through it, thought I'd ask.

Many thanks for your help!

You should leave it at zero. This dial sets the delay interval for flash synch; in olden days, flashbulbs took a while to "burn" before they lit up. Modern flashguns have negligible delay - so you want to select zero delay.

I think the purpose of the delay is to allow the first curtain to be open to one degree or another before the flash fires. Since the electronic flash has a negligible duration, the first curtain msut be fully open, and the second one must not yet have begun to close. Now, let's see: the highest sych speed is 1/50 second, so it must take almost that long for curtain #1 to open. 1 divided by 50 is .02 seconds, or 20 milliseconds. I'll bet the flash sync dial is calibrated in milliseconds, and that's why it needs to be set on 20. I never thought that through before.

I've a IIIf RD and used an electronic flash once without any problems with setting the shutter on 1/25 and the flash delay dial on 0.

The flash delay dial has to be left at 0 with any electronic flash. And the fastest speed on which the shutter is full open during film exposure is 1/25 not 1/50 IMHO.

In other words, the X speed on the IIIf RD is 1/25.

>I hooked up a Metz 34 CS-2 to a IIIf RD, set the shutter speed at 50 and the flash went off. Then I noticed the dial below the shutter speed dial that I think has something to do with the flash setup. It's marked in increments from 20 down to 0. Should I just leave it at "0" or what is the best setting? Is the shutter speed "50" like an M?<

Try standing on you're head too, that'd make it even more trubble to take a shot. Sheesh, you dudes must relly like to suffer for you're supper.

>Before I put film through it, thought I'd ask.<

You specting to find anyone round hear that ever put film in there Leica, you set down in the rong pew dude.

According to The Leica Book by Theo Kisselbach second edition 1971:

Leica If, IIf and IIIf red dial 1/50 #20, T, 1-1/25 #0, B #2

black dial from serial #360,001 1/30 #2, T, 1-1/20 #2, B #6

" " up to " #360,000 1/30 #0, T, 1-1/20 #4, B #6,5

I think that comma between the 6 and the 5 is the British useage as a decimal point.

If you really want to find out the settings for some obscure flash bulbs it has that information too. Email me. I have a stack of old Leica Manuals and such going back to the 1930's.