flash units going to sleep while shooting portraits

<p>Last night I spent a couple of hours working at a fundraiser taking photos of the guests; money from the photos goes to the cause (a private school). Although I have a fair amount of experience taking on-location portraits (in homes, gardens, offices, etc.), this was my first real outing with a portable mini-studio—backdrop, three lights with umbrellas and radio triggers, chair, etc. It was fun, the results ranged from okay to pretty good, I learned a few things (always) and raised a few bucks for the cause. </p>

<p>One thing I didn't learn, because I knew it would be a problem in advance, is that, if I let my flash units sit for a while, they would go to sleep. As I said, I was using radio triggers to set off the lights. I didn't have any problems with the triggers (FlashWave II system), just with the lights. The lights were all hot-shoe flash units (two Pentax 540s and a Metz 58 AF-1). My impression is that this kind of setup works for Joe McNally. It's just that, if there was a five minute lull between clients, some or all of the flash units would go to sleep. This was more of a problem with the two Pentax units than with the Metz but it went to sleep a few times, too. So every time I started to shoot a new guest, I had to remember to touch the flash units and wake 'em up. Actually, with the Pentax units, it was worse than that. I found that the only way to wake them up was to turn them off and then back on. And then I had to quickly adjust the settings again.</p>

<p>Yes, the batteries were all freshly charged, Eneloops.</p>

<p>Is this just the way it is, when you shoot with flash units like this? I'm pretty sure that must be the case, as I can't really see what else could be done. But I'm asking the question, just in case I'm missing something.</p>

<p>Thanks,</p>

<p>Will</p>

<p>Will - </p>

<p>I shoot with sb600s and radio triggers (and eneloops too), and the flashes definitely go to sleep if I take too long between photos (a couple of minutes).</p>

<p>Interestingly enough, when I shoot tethered, the flashes do not go to sleep. I'm wondering if the real issue is the camera going to sleep, and powering off the transmitter.</p>

<p>I've been meaning to see if milking the shutter button in between shots would keep the camera from going to sleep, which would then keep the transmitter awake, and subsequently keep the flashes from going to sleep.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>William,<br>

I use 580 EX-II and I encountered the same problem then I went thru the manual and there are functions which you have to set based on application. for (ex) in 580-EX-II function "01" is the first function which can be set as either 0 or 1. If we set to 0 then it'd automatically turn off when not used for some time interval. so I set the parameter to 1 which enabled continuous "ON" even when unused. This helps when using with radio trigger. I've not used pentax pl refer the manual of flash to set the parameter. Hope this helps.</p>

<p>Sreehari's suggestion seems to have been right on the money. Pulled out the operating manual for my Pentax flash units. It's a truly horrible manual but I did manage to find a page about controlling the auto-off function. Followed the directions (could NEVER have done it without the manual) and changed the setting so the flash doesn't go off for an hour. Just did some testing and it seems to work. Took a picture 15 minutes ago, set camera and flash down, and left them alone. Fifteen minutes later, woke the camera up, took a photo—and the flash fired. Thanks, Sreehari. Should have thought of this myself but I'm glad to know it now.</p>

<p>Now if I can just find the operating manual for the Metz.... ;-)</p>

<p>Will</p>

<p>Steve,</p>

<p>What would make the units overheat? Simply staying on in "ready" mode? I take it you are worried about the batteries. But I don't think staying in ready mode generated any heat. And the operating manual, as I mentioned in my previous post, specifically countenances leaving the flash units on like this, and specifically mentions that you would do this if you were shooting wirelessly. And while the use of mono lights or a couple pack & head lights might be nice, I have the clear impression that what I was doing is in fact quite ordinary these days, because it allows you to travel much lighter. Joe McNally's Hot Shoe Diaries is entirely about doing shoots using lights in this way.</p>

<p>Will </p>

<p>Overheating would be from a lot of use. For example, firing it dozens of times in a short time period. Shooting an event like this probably calls for a bit more heavy duty flash than a hot shoe, IMHO. These have definite limitations.</p>

<p>I once had to use a small Vivitar hot shoe flash at a wedding after my Metz batteries all died late into the gig. In about ten minutes the poor thing was literally smoking! I was firing at a high setting where it was likely dumping 75-100% of it's juice per flash. And poof.</p>

<p>Steve, thanks for clarifying what you were thinking of. This just wasn't a problem with this gig. I was using three units. I can't remember now, but I think one was at 1/1 (all in M), one at 1/2 and a third at 1/8. I had only 20 clients in a couple of hours—we're not talking Santa Claus photos at a crowded mall at Christmas! As I said, I work the flashes harder at a normal wedding reception.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Will,</p>

<p>Don't take this wrong.</p>

<p>The simple act of READING THE MANUAL would answer your question.</p>

<p>Turning off the auto shut-off function is clearly described in the manual. All it takes is the ability to read. And the simple common sense to get out the manual. So many people disregard the information right before their eyes.</p>

<p>One of the most important things a photographer can do is get to know their equipment, and what it's functions and limitations are.</p>

<p>David,</p>

<p>You're a week late and I'm sorry my post wasted your time. After seeing Sreehari Sundararajan's reply to my post here, I did pick up the manual (for the 4000th time), found the page that I had undoubtedly read in the past but not remembered (since it isn't especially clear to start with and has never been relevant to me before last week), and thanks to the tip, I was able to figure out how to do this. </p>

<p>I do think that "RTFM" -- or even worse, "learn to read!"—is just a tad harsh and I hope you don't throw it at people too frequently. </p>

<p>Will</p>