Flash Sync With Nikon F6

arthur_gottschalk

Is the SB-400 iTTL only? Doesn't make a huge difference since the F6 can do both standard TTL and iTTL.

In any case, don't have my F6 handy to see exactly what to do, but if you stick the flash on the camera you should be able to set flash mode in one of the custom function menus. I'll look when I get home to be sure.

Beyond that, for balanced fill I'd probably set the flash exposure compensation to -1. If you hold the flash button(lightning bolt) under the back panel, you should be able to set this with one of the command dials.

I'm just starting to use an SB-400 mini-flash with my Nikon F6. So what should I set the sync to for balanced fill flash?

For balanced fill flash, set the metering mode to matrix. For standard iTTL flash set the metering mode to spot.

Unfortunately the F6 doesn't have the ability to adjust flash exposure compensation directly from the camera body, it has to be set on the flash itself, which of course isn't an option on the SB-400.

If you want to adjust flash exposure compensation separately from ambient light exposure compensation, you need one of the higher end flash units.