Flash suggestions for GF1

keith_anderson7

<p>Keith, if you intend to bounce the light using a flash fully compatible with GF-1, you would be better off buying the most powerful ones namely, FL-50 or FL-50R by Olympus, or DMW-FL500 by Panasonic.</p>

<p>I use FL-50 bought cheaply as surplus stock with my G1. The weight balance is not good (very head-heavy when the flash is directly mounted on the hotshoe of the camera), but I can live with that: it is far better than the better balance and lack of power (when the light is bounced).</p>

<p>Yes, I want bounce. Seems unavoidable to have the flash overpower the camera in terms of size if you want a strong flash. But... I can live with that.<br>

I'm not that well versed in how the flashes are rated for power, anyone want to "fill" me in? Sorry for the bad lighting pun. ;) I mainly shoot outdoors but I have a 2 year old son and have finally conceded that shooting a fast moving toddler indoors is more or less impossible without a dSLR and reasonably fast glass. Hopefully I can get the GF1 up to level of usefulness with the right flash.</p>

<p>If you choose one from the threesome I mentioned, there is no difference of power. They are equally compatible, too, because cableless flash of FL-50"R" (or FL-36"R" in this sense) is not supported by any of Panasonic bodies (at least I'm aware) anyway. You can just go for the cheapest available (that's what I did actually)!</p>

<p>P.S.<br />the "threesome" are more powerful by one stop than FL-36, FL-36R or DMW-FL-360 (again, all are equally compatible).</p>