Flash shutter speed

hamish_gray

<p>I noticed recently that flash setting e2 on my D300 (minimun shutter speed with flash) did not work when using rear flash sync with my SB 900 on or off camera. <strong>This is an observation and not a complaint.</strong> I was just wondering why this was the case. I have been trying to come to some logical conclusion as to why this would be, but cannot come to any sensible conclusion. As a real estate photographer I often use this feature in order to keep the detail on the outside of a window and more or less let my flash take care of the the lighting indoors.<br>

Does anyone have some insight?</p>

<p>This would just be a guess, but I would assume that when you set the camera to rear sync, it assumes you are wanting to expose some or a lot of ambient light (eg, slower shutter speeds), so it disables the minimum shutter speed function to allow for this.</p>

<p>Again, just a guess, I am sure someone more inclined may have a better answer...</p>

<p>Hamish, as I recall, the e2 setting applies only to Auto Program and Aperture Priority. Thus, in Shutter Priority and Manual Exp modes your chosen shutter speed trumps the e2 setting. Share with us more details; exposure mode were you using, e2 setting and actual sh spd during exposure?</p>

<p>Lilly, yes I am aware of these limitations. I was using aperture priority. Travis's reply for me seems logical and is about as far as my interpretation of this camera-overide came, but I'm wondering why the camera would want to overide something that the photographer has purposely decided he/she wants.</p>

<p>Yes, e2 setting is trumped by slow sync and rear-curtain sync but <em>will</em> activate in front sync or red-eye reduction (not <em>slow</em> red eye<em>)</em>.<br>

The e2, when activated in front sync or red-eye reduction, essentially overrides the camera's <em>preferred</em> or nominal shutter spd setting (perhaps in the interest of avoiding 'hand shake', depending on setting) yet when <em>slow</em> or <em>rear sync</em> is the chosen flash mode, the e2 setting is overriden in the interest of capturing ambient light.</p>