Flash recommendations for Hasselblad please

stacy

<p>I tried to connect it to an old Vivitar today but it seems to be dead. The lights come on with new batteries, but it won't fire. Tested on the Hasselblad and and canon eos-3 with a hotshoe. So I suppose I'm going to want a flash. It works fine with strobes, but if I need something portable...I have nothing.<br>

I want something inexpensive, and I don't want to have to lug a battery pack or anything. Any suggestions? Thank you!</p>

<p>I have used Metz and Vivitar flash both with no problems on Hasselblad for over 30 years.<br>

If you flash will fire with the hot shoe but not the cord, then you need a new cord. <br>

Or try with a different lens. I have never had the contacts in a lens go bad , but they can.<br>

The flash units with the higher trip voltages eat cords faster.</p>

<p>One of my favorite flash units is a 283 converted to bare bulb, with a bantum battery pack, on a superwide camera. The barebulb gives great coverage with that lens.</p>

<p>I have used both the Metz potato masher and currently one of the smaller shoe mounted flashes which I find to be a lot more portable. I believe my model is the 54-Z. You also need to get the generic Metz adapter and, of course, a short PC cord. I get my exposure reading using a flash meter, set my speed and aperture and I'm good to go. I usually just put the Metz on auto and it gives me perfect exposures. Bear in mind that the Hasselblad lens have a fastest flash sync speed of 1/500 second compared to today's DSLRs which usually only go up to 1/125 second.<br>

You didn't mention if your 'blad has a cold shoe mount. I use either an eye level prism with a flash mount, or an attachable hand grip which also has a flash mount on it.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Lots of good suggestions for the Hasselblad 500 series here. If you are looking for a flash system for the H-series (H1, H2, H2D, H3D, H4D) the Metz Mecablitz 54 MZ-4i is lightweight and powerful. Article here:<br>

http://www.hotwire-digital.com/training/camerastraining/77-hasselblad-flash-photography-with-metz-54-mz-4i<br>

$299 street price<br>

John<br />---<br />Hotwire-Digital.com</p>