Flash Problem with Mamiya 7 II

rabzug

I shoot both digitally (olympus) and using film (Mamiya 7 II), and recently I tried to use my Olympus Fl600 flash on the Mamiya. It wouldn't flash, though I think I got all the settings right on the flash and the camera. Does anyone know of any problem with such use of a newish digitally-oriented flash with an older X based flash on this film camera? Any suggestions if it is not a general problem? Any help would be much appreciated. rrha

First try a different flash on the Mamiya just to make sure the camera is ok and that it is not some problem with the flash. I have a Mamiya 6 and use a Vivitar 283 flash and it works fine.

Thanks, I will see what I can borrow but it is heartening that you have had no problem with the Mamiya 6. Of course, if I remember the Vivitar 283 pre-dates the all digital age but I will give this a try and hope that it is some quirk in the flash, which by the way works well with my Olympus OMD.

Did you try different lenses? AFAIK the Mamiyas have leaf shutters there, so each of them could be faulty. I'd also try to crosstest the Olympus flash on a (borrowed?) primitive 35mm beater with plain hotshoe. - A need to tape extra pins would be quite unusual, in my eyes, but sorry, I am no Olympus guy.

I wanted to thank all of you for your responses. It looks as if a new flash will have to be the solution, since i looked closely where the hot shoe pins were and there doesn't seem to be a good match between the Mamiya and the Olympus flash for even one pin. I will continue to explore this problem and your leads..