Hello,

I have a question regarding the use of modern flashlights combined

with an Graflex Speed Graphic. As you probably know the Speed Graphic

has a plane shutter and therefore allows the use of barrel lenses. I

would like to use an old barrel lens in combination with a

flashlight. On the side of the camera I found a flash socket with two

pins. How can I use this socket? Is it determined for the old

flashlights with bulbs or can I use it with modern flashlights as

well? Any advice regarding this topic is welcome.

Martin

I don't know where you are, but we must all use the same terms. Since the equipment was made in the US, we'll use ours. The camera was originally designed to be used primarily with flashbulbs. I think you are using the term "flashlights" to mean "electronic flash".

So, as to your question "can I use it with modern flashlights as well", the answer is NO. That socket is for a sync cord to attach a bulb flash attachment to the camera. The sync for that outlect comes from a connection inside the camera. Since that sync connection was designed for special flash bulbs [to sync with the camera's focal plane shutter, which works quite differently, and at different speeds, than modern leaf shutters], it CANNOT be used with any electronic flash unit. You'll never get them to sync. Sorry.

Hi Martin,

There are different flash sync settings, M, X, and V which are for different light

sources. M and V are for flash bulbs, which require a longer time to reach

peak light output, so they are set off slightly before the shutter opens. X is a

modern electronic flash or strobe, and is pretty much instantaneous.

Electronic flash/strobes won't work with the M or V settings because they will

flash too soon, before the shutter has completely opened.

I am far from an expert on the focal plane shutters in graphic cameras, but I

imagine that there is someway of coverting an M to an X type sync, however it

may be more involved than is worth your while. Flash bulbs are still readily

available, and may be worth trying...

Martin:

The best place to ask questions and get information about Graphic cameras is www.graflex.org

The pins on the side of your camera (it is probably a Pacemaker Speed Graphic) are indeed for synchronizing flash with the camera's focal plane shutter.

But since the Speed Graphic's focal plane shutter never completely uncovers the film (remove the focusing panel, wind the shutter up, and watch the slits traverse the gate -- none of them is as high as the gate), it can't be used with electronic flash UNLESS you want to expose only part of the film. You can use the focal plane shutter with class "F" flash bulbs, more details are available on the graflex site.

Hope this helps,

Dan

I have read about some old electronic flashes that used relays to delay the flash so that they can be used with bulb sincs. (I think some of the old Strobnars had this feature.)

It would seem to be a simple matter to get some low voltage relays to induce a delay or get some electronics hobbist to rig up an adjustable circuit. However, unless you are really planing on using it a lot, I agree with the privious post, buy bulbs. They are more fun and quite powerful.

Neal

Martin,

I have an old (1958) book on flash photography called 'Perfection in a Flash'. In the chapter 'Synchronised flash' it has a section 'focal plane shutters' and a sub section on 'X-synchronisation' which says ...

'Electronic flash is nearly instantaneous and the frame must be fully uncovered at the moment of contact. This can be achieved by making the contact when the first blind completed its travel and using a speed setting such that the frame is open at this point. The speed setting is again limited and is usually about 1/25th second depending on the format and blind speed of the camera.... but can be as low as 1/10th second...in effect open flash.'

It then goes on to talk about 'M sync' (flashbulbs) and how a suitable delay must be allowed and the flash long enough to last for the time the slit takes to travel across the frame.

So it looks as though with electronic flash you will have to set a very low shutter speed possibly even a 'B' setting. You might be able to check the contacts by using a battery and a torch bulb and see where the blinds are when the bulb lights.

good luck!

Martin: Yes you can use your focal plane shutter with flash, but it takes special bulbs,.... it takes a special FP bulb. The most common flash sync is the "M" sync, which delays the opening of the lens shutter, by 20 milliseconds so that the bulb can reach its maximum illumination when the shutter goes off. The FP bulbs use a similar delay, but the FP bulbs hold their peak illumination longer, in order to give the focal plane shutter, time to complete the curtain travel across the film plane. I have seen many Ebay auctions in the last month, for FP bulbs. Obviously, FP bulbs, mean Focal Plane. Good luck. Richard Boulware - Denver.

If you're working in the studio with the camera on a tripod, open flash technique is not such an unreasonable proposition. Open the shutter with the "B" or "T" setting, fire the flash, then close the shutter. I've done this with a lens cap and barrel lens, and as long as you keep the ambient light down and the flash power high, you can develop a technique to make it work for you without problems of ghosting.

Otherwise, get one or two leaf shutter lenses for use with electronic flash.

Martin,

Depending on what size Speed Graphic you are talking about, (I will assume that it is a 4 X 5 since this is the most common Speed Graphic) FP bulbs required for this shutter have been out of production for several years (maybe 2 - 3 decades). Even at 1/1000, the time required for the focal plane shutter's opening to travel from the top to bottom requires a very special flash bulb which provides a long and even illuminance during the shutter travel. As I recall, only 1/250 and 1/1000 can be used for flash on a 4 X 5 Pacemaker Speed Graphic. There are sources for these bulbs (new old stock), but you will be fighting collectors and pay a high price!