gerry_szarek

I need a flash, the pop up one just doesn't cut it. Ideally it

needs to run on my 10D and maybe a canon Rebel, if it doesn't run on

the Rebel oh well.

What I want/need, fill in flash in bright sun that can be controlled

from FULL Power to 1/16 or so, high speed sync ability, and the

ability to easily adjust all this stuff without having to go to the

camera menu's if I can? The flash needs to be 100% compatable with

the 10D. Needs to cover my 17-40 zoom at the 17 end (on the 10d)

without getting cut off by the lens!

I did do a web search, and found basiclly nothing. I have found

individual reviews on the seperate flashes, but not against each

other.

Thanks,

Gerry

<P> <i> that can be controlled from FULL Power to 1/16 or so</i> </P>

<P> You are talking about manual control and the 420EX doesn't have it. So, it's 550EX vs. the <a href="http://photonotes.org/reviews/sigma-ef-500-super/">Sigma 500 super</a>. The 550</P>

<P> <i> The flash needs to be 100% compatable with the 10D</i> </P>

<P> The Sigma will fire AF assist only for the central AF point so it goes away too. You are left with the 550EX which is, by the way, the best flash to the EOS system. </P>

<P> Happy shooting , <br>

Yakim. </P>

<i>Needs to cover my 17-40 zoom at the 17 end (on the 10d) without getting cut off by the lens</i><p>Shouldn't be an issue as any of the above mentioned suitable hotshoe flashes will be high enough not to cast a lens shadow into the frame; and for actual flash coverage, even my 420EX (as Yakim pointed out, this has no manual flash) <i>without a wide angle adapter</i> covers the frame of my 10D with a 17-40 at 17. Don't forget you'll only see about 27mm worth of coverage with a 17mm on the 10D.

Maureen is correct, though I would caution you that should you ever upgrade to a film camera, a 1Ds, or any digital with a <1.6x crop factor (such as the often-rumored EOS 3D with a 1.3X factor), you'll no longer be able to count upon the 420EX granting you adequate wide-angle coverage for your 17-40L. Tread carefully!

Not so fast Gerry. Go to the camera store and put both flashes on the 10D and see

what you think then. The 550 is larger than the 420 and tends to unbalance the 10D

pretty badly. It will positively dwarf the digital Rebel (like a Metz 54Mz on a Leica M,

which is a ridiculous combo IMO). Take care not to defeat one of the main features of

the 10D...size and balance.

For the use you described, the 420 is more than adequate. and still can be used as a

slave should you get a bigger Canon later along with a 550EX for it.

Control of the 420 flash output on the 10D is a no-brainer. It's done with the far

right, top button while you rotate the main back wheel. You do not have to resort to

the menu. It's just as fast (maybe faster) than adjusting the 550EX from the flash

itself. The 10D flash control affords a 2 stop adjustment either way, which when in

conjunction with the cameras automatic fill flash function, is more than enough to do

the job.

As far as coverage, you should get a Stofen diffuser anyway to cut the harsh

highlights you've complained about in the past. With it in place most angles will be

covered (I've covered a 14mm on a D-30 using a Stofen with just a bit of vignetting).