Flash glare

Lynn Couperthwaite

In the previous photo, you were apparently using a cell phone, since it appears in the reflection. In this there is the flash, also a phone? You can take perfectly good photos of old pictures in open shade or under a desk lamp, at least with cameras. It is just a question of (ex flash) what you see is what you get. I have no expertise or interest in phoneography, so will not comment there. Simply, try to get the lens plane parallel to the plane of the subject, light so there are no hot spots and shoot till you get what you want. I would consider a polarizing filter if you are using a camera and have an image that is under glass. You might see if you have a friend who is into photography and engage that person to help. Best of luck!

BTW, when I was a kid, I had similar problems when I took pix of things in glass cases at the museum. The glass case reflected the flash back to the camera, and I had a white blot in the middle. This is a common problem when shooting a flash straight into glass.

As Sandy said, if they are using a cell phone, have them put the photo under better light, so that the the cell phone flash won't go off.

Again watch out for reflections of stuff in the background.

• 4 weeks later...
Interesting you mention "magic" as Fuqua's book Lighting, Science and Magic addresses this question. On a polished surface, the reflection will come off at the same angle it came in, ie angle of incidence equals angle of reflection. Your camera sees the leading edge of the object from one angle with a corresponding equal angle of reflection. The far edge is seen at a different camera angle and different angle of reflection. If you place the light within the 2 angles of reflection, you will see the specular highlight from the light. To eliminate the specular reflection off a smooth, reflective surface like glass or water, you need to position the light outside those two angles, ie outside the family of angles. Do that and magic happens.