Flash for skateboarding short FD! -- using bronica SQ-B

Discussion in 'Lighting Equipment' started by will_a., Apr 6, 2016.

1. I have been shooting skateboarding for some time but have always felt rather limited by only using available light. I want to start shooting with flash off camera on a bronica SQ-B with an 80mm lens. I am looking for something with a short flash duration that can freeze action well without getting expensive studio lights such as lumedynes or einsteins.
    The bronica’s high sync speed of 1/500th of a second will be great for cutting down the bright daylight but correct me if I am wrong, the flash duration is what is responsible for freezing action.
    Any recommendations for affordable flash guns (without TTL—no need for it) that have a short flash duration at full power? Or is my best bet just to get multiple speedlights and power them down to make them faster? I was thinking that a fast duration at full power would be useful for keeping the flashes at a safe distance from my subject and balancing the sun.
    I was thinking about the Yongnuo 560 which according to this article (http://gock.net/2012/01/flash-durations-small-strobes/) has a pretty short flash duration when powered down but at full power seems adequate (at about 1/300s). And here (http://speedlights.net/2010/07/14/yongnuo-yn-560-speedlite-review/) there is a chart showing how these are among the fastest at full power when rated using t.1. Anyone use these for skating/other fast action shots with good results?
    It is difficult to find accurate information about flash duration as there is a lot of speculation on the web and there are two rating systems (t.5 and the more reliable t.1) that complicate matters more.
    Thanks!

2. SCL

SCL

I love the old hammerhead Metz 45 CL-4, and have used it for years on all my cameras ranging from 35mm rangefinders & SLRs to modern DSLRs and my TLR (I also used it on my Bronica ETRSi when I had it). Sort of dinosaurish, but it never fails to deliver.

laurencecochrane likes this.
  3. I used Vivitar 283s on Bronica ETRSi for years at weddings to add to the dinosaurs. I still think I got better
    exposures than I do with Canon Flashes today. They were pretty simple to use and I learned to compute fill to be kind to skin with them.

4. I am giving away a powerful high speed flash. I used it mostly for birds in flight, without motion blur. It runs off of 12 volts (I use a small motorcycle battery) has a central power supply, a bit bigger than a shoe box, and has 4 cables leading to 4 flash heads, which are parabolic reflectors.
    It is an antique, but works well. The problem for action photography is that it is sort of a "studio" setup. You need light stands or whatever, and there are cables too. Very delicate flash heads. Would be destroyed by moisture in connectors, because of very high voltage.
    Still, I am giving it away, and it has a flash duration of about 1/30000 sec at half power. For sunlit subjects, it might not be powerful enough to avoid ghosting at the distance your sports might require. you can call me at 404-445-0989 if you wish to discuss.

5. I use one too even on DSLRS. So uncomplicateded compared to MINISCULE LCD's and tiny push buttons. Great SIMPLE flashgun with 6 auto settings.manual and reduced power settings too.

6. Not good if you want a short flash duration though. The t0.1 time is about 8 milliseconds, compared to 4 milliseconds for most modern speedlights. (I have the storage 'scope traces to prove it, somewhere.)
    However, the long duration allows you to use the badly-named HSS mode - Aka FP synch. - available on some cameras.

7. Did I mention flash duration ? NO I DID'NT Granted crux of the thread..Modern flashes scunner me, far to fiddley hard to read grey on grey LCD's..Not to mention the so called PROS who use them commonly on the hot shoe IDIOTS ! The Metz does what I need. The Metz you dial in, thats it Simples. Granted outdated and bulky. But so am I

8. That is ONE f stop at full power..Obviously flashes must be the same full power output otherwise comparisons are bullshit. or are you comparing apples with oranges ? The Metz has six auto settings any one of which will be much shorter duration than that quoted, in real usage.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2022 at 8:19 AM