loukiq

Hello. I'm a newbie in Medium Format so sorry if my question is dumb. Just bought my Bronica ETRSi with the Speed Grip and I want to shoot some portraits on this set up. My plan is to use the PC cord to connect my Yongnuo 622 wireless controller to the camera and use Yongnuo 560IV flash for it. But I tried to mount the 622N-TX controller to the hot shoe on the speed grip but it didn't fell in place because the sockets [i don't know if I called them right, but they are the small metal parts that's supposed to come in contact with the metal plate in the hot shoe to transfer the electric signals from the camera to the controller/flash] cannot slide into the hot shoe. I don't know if it's because my speed grip's hot shoe is too old so it's rigid to slide on or I need to buy a hot shoe adapter like in the pictures to attach on the speed grip's hot shoe and then attach the controller on top of it? Of course I will need a PC sync cord to connect to the lens. I'm not sure if this is a right set up or I'm just an idiot. Please give me some advice on this. I want to use the camera with off-camera flash for more control in lightning. Thank you!JSC2.jpgJSC2a.jpg
  • Like 1

Jeez, what a twerp in that video! Blah, blah, blah for 3' 15" to impart about 15" worth of info. None of it is rocket science.

You just have to accept that you'll get no flash automation at all with an old film camera and a modern flash. You have to work completely with manual control of flash 'power'. The plus point is that all that's needed by way of flash synch is to connect the camera's P-C socket to the centre-pin of a hotshoe adapter. None of the other connections will do anything.

I've plugged Canon flashes into Nikon cameras and vice-versa. I've also used Sunpak, Metz, Toshiba, Osram, Nissin, YongNuo and other brands of flash with all sorts of cameras.

Basically, if all you need is a burst of light, you can mix-and-match almost any flash with any camera. That centre-pin of the hotshoe is all that matters, and of course the outer metal 'ground' connection.

So that hotshoe-to-PC adapter you have should work just fine.

A P-C to hotshoe adapter is all that's needed. The TTL facilities of the 622 radio trigger will be redundant, but it should fire the flash.

BTW. The hotshoe on the Bronica speedgrip should be standard. Hotshoes have been a standard size since they were invented in the middle of last century. Maybe your speedgrip has been damaged, bent or worn?

• Like 3

It's not unknown for a retaining rail or rails of a flash shoe to get bent downwards, making it impossible to insert the flashgun or adaptor. In the past I have carefully opened these up slightly using a flat headed screwdriver or similar.
  • Like 2

Jeez, what a twerp in that video! Blah, blah, blah for 3' 15" to impart about 15" worth of info. None of it is rocket science.

You just have to accept that you'll get no flash automation at all with an old film camera and a modern flash. You have to work completely with manual control of flash 'power'. The plus point is that all that's needed by way of flash synch is to connect the camera's P-C socket to the centre-pin of a hotshoe adapter. None of the other connections will do anything.

I've plugged Canon flashes into Nikon cameras and vice-versa. I've also used Sunpak, Metz, Toshiba, Osram, Nissin, YongNuo and other brands of flash with all sorts of cameras.

Basically, if all you need is a burst of light, you can mix-and-match almost any flash with any camera. That centre-pin of the hotshoe is all that matters, and of course the outer metal 'ground' connection.

So that hotshoe-to-PC adapter you have should work just fine.

A P-C to hotshoe adapter is all that's needed. The TTL facilities of the 622 radio trigger will be redundant, but it should fire the flash.

BTW. The hotshoe on the Bronica speedgrip should be standard. Hotshoes have been a standard size since they were invented in the middle of last century. Maybe your speedgrip has been damaged, bent or worn?

Thanks Joe for the advice. Yes I understand that I can only set up the flash manually. Because the Yongnuo flash and the wireless controller is the only flash system I have for my digital camera so I just want to make use of it with the Bronica also. I have a old Vivitar 252 and it works fine with the Bronica but it’s quite small and for on-camera flash purpose only. I know the hot shoe on the speed grip should fit others devices but I cannot slide the yongnuo flash or controller on that. I think the adapter should fix the problem but I ordered ir from taiwan and it wont get here until August

• Like 1

It's not unknown for a retaining rail or rails of a flash shoe to get bent downwards, making it impossible to insert the flashgun or adaptor. In the past I have carefully opened these up slightly using a flat headed screwdriver or similar.

Hi John. If that’s the case I have absolutely no idea to fix it. Maybe I should bring my camera to a camera shop for them to check. Thank you for sharing your tip. Appreciated it!

• Like 1

If the two metal flanges on the speed grip (that hold the flash) are bent in even the slightest they will prevent the flash

from fitting . What John was suggesting is that if you have a small flat bladed screwdriver , then you put it under the

flanges and pry it up a bit and test fit until it slides in . It probably won't require much force at all . Peter

• Like 2

If the two metal flanges on the speed grip (that hold the flash) are bent in even the slightest they will prevent the flash

from fitting . What John was suggesting is that if you have a small flat bladed screwdriver , then you put it under the

flanges and pry it up a bit and test fit until it slides in . It probably won't require much force at all . Peter

Oh I got it. Thank you for the explanation. Much appreciated! All I need is the cord now

FEFA7987-88FF-460F-A916-E7691F3536C2.thumb.jpeg.0b19700e740c07f825a86e878007e9dc.jpeg

• Like 1

Great to hear , makes these forums a pleasure to use. Peter

Thanks Peter. Yes it’s been a while since last time I posted a question in a forum. Everything seems answered on YouTube already.

• Like 1