Flash Feeder 2

gerard_bynre

I'm looking for approx 9000ws of flash power, in an outside setting with no power points. I don't need a

high capacity of 'pops' and I don't need fast recycling. I've done lots of testing and trawling the internet,

and I even plunged for a Calumet Travelite set-up with 4 x 750ws strobes - but it's not enough!

I just discovered something called a "Flash Feeder 2" on the net - see http://www.elektrona.si/flash_feeders.htm

IT seems like an interesting solution - allowing me to mix and match AC powered studio flashs, which are

a lot easier and cheaper to source then 4 x Bowens Explorer battery packs or the like.

Has anybody got any experience of the Flash Feeder? They seem to have been around for some time but

there is very very little about them on the net.

Thanks,

Gerard

You can rent diesel powered generator from most rental companies. They'll deliver the trailer-mounted generator to your location, fire it up, and pick it up when you are finished.

Using one of these generators recently, I was able to power 2-4800ws (9600ws total) Speedotron packs at the same time and at full power. The generators never revved past an idle when the packs were firing.

Cost was under $300 for 10 hours rental.

Hi Brooks,

Thanks for the input but there's lots of sage advice which is very negative about running

studio flash off generators - most makes of which generate current which is potentially

damaging to power packs. Something about the difference between 'stepped' voltage and

'pure sine wave' voltage - the later is the same as mains AC, while the former is the type of

AC most generators use. I've spoken to Bowens engineers who say that their equipment

should never ever be run from a generator, and I've read about this stuff (which is

electrical engineering beyond my limited knowledge) in many places. At the same time, I

too have run a 2000ws Bowens head off a generator - but I don't know if I'd like to take

the risk with 9000ws of newish kit, going completely against manufacturer's advice - the

warrantee wouldn't hold up for one.

This "Flash Feeder" is designed especially for circumventing the problems I've just

outlined, AND it comes in a small Pelican case, AND it doesn't generate any noise as it

provides Pure Sine wave current. That's why I want to hear about it's reliability before

taking the plunge.