Flash Extender for bird Photography

anthony_luzzi

Hi to all, My question is i recently got into bird photography. While

at a site I noticed a guy with a long lens on camera and a shoe mount

flash but on the flash had a glass about 6-8 inches infront of the

flash. in looking on B&H and Addorrama sites I can not see this

devise can anyone tell me what it is called and where I can get one

for my sunpack 433d-af flash. thanks Tony Luzzi New Haven,Conn

I have the Better Beamer and it's always on the SB-80DX. Gets that flash further out in a tighter beam and extends the battery life of the flash (more efficient). It's so powerful that I have had to change my flash comp to -3.0 for my new Fuji S2.

The beamer is made for Nikon and Canon flash units, not sure if it will fit a Sunpack... depends on the geometry (obviously), but there is some flexibility in attachment (performed with a heavy band).

The lens element used by most of these can be obtained from Barnes & Noble or other book stores for a few dollars. It is a plastic Fresnel magnifyier approximately 4x6 inches. What the various suppliers mention in earlier responses provide is a means of positioning this a few inches in front of the flash. You may have to make your own for your sunpack if its flash head dimensions aren't close enough to the Nikon SB24/25/26 or SB28 (or the Canon flash heads that match one of these sizes).

Anthony, the better beamer is great. They come in 3 sizes and the height of the flash head is more important than the width. Go to www.birdsasart.com and have a look at the description and sizes. I'm sure one would fit the 433D. The only thing I can think of that might be a problem with the 433D is that the head is rather short and may not have enough length for adequate mounting.

Bing, TTL senses light reaching the film through the lens real-time during the exposure and quenches the flash when enough light has been received. Most camera companies use a sensor that reads the light directly off the film. It is immune to such things as flash extenders, filters, extension tubes, TCs, etc. That is why it�s so popular.

Bing, I'm sorry, but I misread your question. I used a flash meter to calibrate a manual flash with the better beamer. Using this method I found, properly installed, the better beamer increased the effective light by a tad more than two stops. That doubles the guide number of the flash. All I have to do now is use the doubled guide number in my exposure calculations.