Flash diffusers for macro work

bob_atkins

I'd be interested in comments on ways to diffuse the harsh lighting

you get when using a single flash for macro work. Of course you

could use multiple flashes or ring flashes, but I'm assuming

the case of someone with a single flash on an off camera cord.

What are the experiences of users with devices like the

Lumiquest and Sto-Fen flash diffusers?

I recently got a Lumiquest pocket bounce for my SB26 so that I could take handheld macro shots with the flash on the camera(I didn't feel like dealing with a bracket). I used it with an N90s and both a 105/2.8D Micro-Nikkor and a 200/4D Micro-Nikkor(loaned to me, VERY nice lens).

<p>

I angled the flash head at about 45 degrees for the 105 and one notch up for the 200. These angles aimed the light in front of the respective lenses. I'm hoping this works well for bugs(once there are bugs).

<p>

Overall I think the technique worked well though I did notice that some shots were underexposed. The quality of the light does seem to be good but I need more experimentation. The Lumiquest cost $15 at Hunt's near Boston and for that price you can't go too far wrong.

<p>

BTW, I think the Sto-Fen wants the flash head to be pointing to the side. This might work well for a portrait but I think the Lumiquest would be better for macro stuff.

I've tried a number of different things, the simplest being a layer or two of cheesecloth held over the head. This works pretty well and weights nothing. I use it for my basic shooting setup with dual and single flash.

<p>

I've used the lumiquest pocket bounce and it works OK if you don't need alot of light, but at f22/32 and more with alot of extension the flash (SB-24) gives a full dump and it often isn't enough, plus the direction of the light aharder to control and the device can start to interfer with the subject . I just bought, but have yet to use a XTC II soft box type diffuser from Photoflex, I'll let you know if I get a chance to try this week.

<p>

Depending on the setup I've also sucessfully used white cards and foil when the subject isn't about to move away and this can produce pretty good, even fill.

I've been using a "mini-Apollo" for close-up and macro work for a few

years. This is the soft-box type of diffuser, it is about 5x8 inches.

The size is fine for the smaller flower portraits and anything

smaller. Light quality and quantity is fine (with a canon 430EZ) when

used off-camera. I hand hold the light with the camaera on the tripod.

This lets me do several shots with light from different angles quickly

For really small stuff, the bare flash is fine or with diffusion.

• 3 months later...
At close flash to subject distances I think the Sto-Fen diffuser is adequate. At greater distances, a mini-softbox type diffuser would be better. I plan on getting a soft-box eventually. I don't have a Sto-Fen diffuser either, but I have something that probably works just as well and cost less than $1. I bought a white plastic bottle of generic rubbing alcohol at WalMart and used the rectangular bottom portion to fit over my flash. It fit perfectly on my Nikon SB26. At close flash-subject distances, it diffuses the light nicely and as an added benefit warms the colors slightlly.