Flash Brackets

colt_hagmaier

I was wondering when it is necessary to pull the flash off the

camera and use a bracket? Is it always a good idea to do this with

flash photography? I have never used one and so is the cheap

stroboframe quick-flip for $40 a good start to practice? Any help

with this would be really appreciated.

stroboframe has a model which does not require flipping the whole flash..instead you rotate the camera body...more compact and easier to use...when i bought mine it was approx. $62...and well worth the additonal $$ in the facility of use.

no, it is not necessary to pull the flash off camera..just makes for a better image.

First off, any vertical shot done with a hot shoe mounted flash will have nasty side shadows!The bracket keeps the flash equal distant over the lens, regardless of vertical or horizontal orientation.

The "on camera", flash as the main light, is never the best solution to any problem.However, it is all we get in many situations.This lighting position does little to "model" our subjects or add any depth producing shadows which creates a 3D look in fotos.

The idea of raising the light above the lens axis, is to cast the shadows behind the subjects.This only works to some degree, and one should always avoid firing any flash too close to any background.The higher angle of the flash to lens, also eliminates the possibilty of "red eye".

I have the Stroboframe Quick Flip frame for 35mm cams:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=52728&is=REG

It has been a great asset to me; it's lightweight and flips so that the flash is always over the lens. I do, however, want to upgrade to the Pro-T and get the tripod quick release system, as well. That way I can quickly attach my frame to a tripod when I want to use ambient light with longer shutterspeeds, for instance.

If you intend to use a battery grip/motor drive with your camera, be careful to test the "camera flip" flash bracket. Sometimes the sync cord on top of the camera will interfere with rotating the camera to the verticle position... the sync cord module that sits on the flash shoe bumps up against the foam handle grip.

I'm going to replace my camera flip brackets for this reason. Probably with the Quick Flip, which seems faster to use anyway.