Flash bracket for different cameras.

Greetings!

I have been looking for one simple flash bracket, which could be

used with:

1. MF TLR, MF 6x6 SLR.

2. MF 645 Rangefinder.

3. 35mm SLR, 35mm Rangefinder.

Should I be buying three for these different breeds? Or is there

a bracket which will work for all of the above.

I do not want to buy a bulky or clunky bracket.

Please let me know a good solution for each category. Thanks.

It depends on the cameras and how they are set up and what feels comfortable to you, but I would get a non-rotating bracket for the 6x6 cameras, saving the extra weight and bulk of the rotating mechanism when you are using these cameras that are already bulky, and then get a flip-frame or a rotating bracket for the 645 and 35mm cameras.

I use a simple Norman bracket usually with the 6x6 SLR and even with my Linhof 4x5", which has a rotating back, and a Stroboframe Pro-RL for 35mm and occasionally with the 6x6 SLR. If I want flash with my folding rangefinders (6x9, 6x6, 35mm) I might use either one, depending on whether the priority is on light weight or the ability to rotate.

In my experience, there isn't one bracket that does a good job with every kind of camera. I agree with the person above who said that the bracket for the 6x6 would be most compact without the flip function that the other two types of cameras would need. And depending on the brand of camera, one brand of bracket works well while another doesn't. Another factor is how you like the flip function to work (if you even want a flip function). Some flip the camera, others flip the flash, which most affects vertical shots (coverage of a vertical shot when the flash is in horizontal position) unless you're using a round reflectored flash. Bounce shots are affected too--depending whether your flash can swivel. And some brackets, like Stroboframe's Camera Flip, can seem to work for all different types but then don't work with certain types of 35mm cameras, especially with battery packs. A camera bracket is a very personal thing, and one usually ends up collecting them, especially if you change camera models and brands over the years. I'd look at everything that's available and then try to find the ones that end up on your short list to actually try out with the gear you intend to use. Or, post your actual equipment and take a survey of what people who own the same gear use to see if there are any favorites.

I have some stroboframe flip bracket which is adjustable for different camera setups. Unluckily it is damn bulky and anything but comfortable to hold with small Pentax SLRs and Metz 60 if you need both hands on the camera. I didn't try to use it with my TLRs and chimney finder yet. With prism it should work. My advice would be to enter some shop with your equipment and try the brackets out.