Flash bracket for a 580 on 5D vertcal/portrait

frank_gross

<p>The Stroboframe Strobo Flip (VH2000) seems like a good possibility for easily and compactly being able to shoot in portrait orientation and keep the flash center above the lens.<br /> One problem is that it doesnt raise the flash very high. It is specified at 7.5 inches and most brackets are 11 inches. I'd prefer a wee bit of shadow centered under the nose.<br /> I shoot portraits by turning the camera anti clockwise with the shutter at the top (top/left of camera body).<br /> I need it to be light weight. It will be used hand-held. I'd prefer to grip the camera rather than the bracket.<br /> There are so many models from Stroboframe, Custom Brackets and others that I find the choice overwhelming.<br /> Can anyone make a recommendation? I don't want to deal with flimsy flopping around but am on a tight budget.</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>Not really. Flash brackets are extremely personal. What I find annoying, you may not. For instance, I have the VH2000. I don't like that the arm flops around when you are holding the camera. I don't like the metal bar under the bottom of the lens. But you may find these features just fine.</p>

<p>Based on the few preferences you listed, I'd suggest a Custom Bracket Jr. or the Stroboframe Pro T. Or a Flash Frame H.O.T. bracket. Some flip brackets can be used with the standard on the right side of the camera.</p>

<p>Custom Brackets are extremely well made and the ones that are heavy and seem like a lot of metal, are actually very nice to use, and fast. But they are heavy, although IMHO, more important than weight is balance. You will also find, if you are shooting events, that things like a place to put triggers and a tripod socket or accommodation for a QR can also be important.</p>

<p>One of the best brackets that keep the flash head orientation matching the camera frame is the RRS Wedding Bracket, but it is quite pricey. It has locking arms and is lightweight, though. Take it from someone who has more than 10 brackets sitting around--there is no such thing as a perfect bracket.</p>

<p>I'd recommend going to a well stocked store with all of the gear you intend to use and trying everything out. Or, identifying some candidates, ordering them, using them very lightly, and returning them.</p>

<p>Frank said:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The Stroboframe Strobo Flip (VH2000) seems like a good possibility for easily and compactly being able to shoot in portrait orientation and keep the flash center above the lens.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I bought that exact same model nearly 20 years ago for my Nikon N6006/SB-28 film SLR set-up at the time. I haven't used it since, or tried it on a modern full-frame DSLR. But, I too, liked it because it was so compact. The "flip" works great, and as I recall, seemed very solid in either position. I was also able to mount a Nikon SC-17 TTL cable in the top hot-shoe receiver. I can't exactly remember, but I think the flip orientation is as you described. It's a nice design, and my favorite among the Stroboframe brackets.</p>

<p>Mukul said:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>After a fair bit of hunting around I decided on the Bower VA346. It is light and inexpensive.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Interesting. That appears to be the <em>exact</em> same product, under a different brand, at half the price ($25 USD). It also appears to have the same cold-shoe receiver (to hold an SC-17/29 TTL-type cable shoe) that the Stroboframe-branded unit does.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<P>I am looking at brackets again too. A question for Nadine is this: In what situations does the camera/ flash orientation mismatch (ie camera vertical with flash horizontal) create lighting problems such as light fall-off at the sides or top of the picture. For example this problem must depend upon the lens size, zoom level of both the flash and lens, and distance from the subject. Does anyone have any real world experience with this problem? Is it even an important issue? Can it be overcome by always setting the flash to a wider zoom setting than needed for the lens? Obviously round flash heads such as Quantum/ Lumedyne would not create an issue.</P>

<P>Flipping the camera on a steady bracket seems to have clear ergonomic advantages.</P>