isn't preferred or allowed.

One of my concerns therefore is that the D10 doesn't have a built-in

focus assist lamp but instead uses a pre-flash to assist focus in

low light situations.

I recently read somewhere that some people use an attachment to

assist focus. I neglected to save a copy of that. I believe it was a

flash remote trigger. Does anyone know?

Thank you

Ah, I don't have to guess on this one: If you have an external flash, you can set Custom function 5 to 3. This allows the camera to use the IR assist of the flash, but will inhibit the flash from firing for the phot0. PG 147 of the 10D manual.

If you don't have a flash unit, or if the "apperance" of a flash unit is a bad thing for your locations, I believe the Canon ST-E2 will fit the bill. This is a camera mounted remote trigger for multiple canon flash units, and also includes an IR AF assist beam. Only problem is that this gizmo costs as much as a 420EX flash unit ($179). Though I never used this gizmo, this sounds like a 550EX flash without the actual flash components.

I *think* what you might be looking for is the Canon Wireless Controller LC-4. It mounts on the hotshoe and has a focus-assist lamp, I believe. It comes with a bracket to mount your flash beside the camera since it's sitting in the hotshoe. Best wishes...

IMHO, the built in assist light on the D60 is practically worthless. Low light focusing reliablity has significantly improved after I turned off that worthless POS "white light from hell".

If the 10D's low light focusing capablity has improved, it may work without any assist light. If not, the options discussed above seems reasonable.