Flash and Red Eye (M7 and MP)

bryan_andregg

I used my M7 with a flash for the first time this past weekend at a friends wedding and

rehersal dinner. I had a Vivitar 2800 on the M7 which worked pretty darn good for a first

time setup. The only problem I had with exposures was that there was noticable Red-Eye

in picutres of people facing the camera when the flash was used. I know what Red-Eye is,

and I know how to prevent it in general (move the flash off camera, bounce the flash, etc.),

but I want to know what most people do. I was using two cameras at the same time, so

having to hand hold the flash off camera seems out as an option, and a bracket eliminates

the whole reason that I shoot with my little M's in the first place.

Advice?

Apparently there is no cure for your problem, since handholding the flash up above is ruled out by you, as is getting a flash bracket.

Maybe someone makes a "stick" with flash contacts below and flash shoe above to extend the height of your flash. Maybe you could use a flash whose flash window is higher up than the one of the V 2800. (Note that all of this refers only to horizontal mode compositions.)

And now a more serious question: - without a flash bracket - how do you like those shadows on the side of people's faces in vertical shooting orientation? That is the real reason to get a bracket, in my book. But you have ruled the cure out already.

Actually look at the small brackets (4.5 inches if i recall correctly) of Stroboframe, a Leica body might just fit under its bar ... Go and measure one to see. And good luck!

I've been using a stroboframe flip bracket with a SF20 and the Lutz shade deal. Works pretty good. Still looks like flash in dark rooms but the Lutz tones it down a bit. The braket works great, and is very conveniant. I got it because I didn't like holding the flash in one hand and shooting at those times when a flash is neccessary. YMMV.

Thing called a Mini Softbox by Lumaquist. It goes on the flash with velcro and fans the light out just enough that I never get red eye. It does shorten your maximum working distance from the subject, so if you're shooting from 20 feet away with a 90 or 135mm and less than 400 speed film, forget it.

1. Buy a f=1.0 lens and forget flash, relying on available darkness.

2. Buy a copy of Photoshop and quit worrying about redeye.

3. Quit shooting weddings for pay unless assured a well lighted venue.

4. If you are too cheap to buy Photoshop then learn how to retouch negtives and prings.