Flash (and bracket) for wedding shoot recommendation

kevin_nguyen6

<p>Hi,<br>

I am thinking about starting a career in wedding photography. I am think about these gears at start up:<br>

1) Canon 5D Mark II<br>

2) 24-70 mm f/2.8L (and of course more lens later)<br>

3) Can't decide what flash to buy yet. Thus, can't determine if flash bracket is needed. Therefore, I need your help to make the decision.<br>

To minimize up front cost, I just want to concentrate on minimum set of gears that I need to practice and learn. Feel free to recommend different body and lens (with pros/cons).<br>

Your input is greatly appreciated,<br>

Thanks,<br>

Kevin</p>

<p>Get the top of the line Canon flash for your camera. You will eventually so do it at the beginning. Don't forget the off camera cable, a couple of them actually.</p>

<p>For flash brackets I like Joe Demb. Others like other brackets. Some don't like brackets at all. It is a pesonal thing with no right or wrong choice.</p>

<p>Actually, you need a back up body, an external flash, a back up flash, and back up lens(es) at the very least. Don't need a bracket initially. I'd get a lot more experience, ideally as an assistant, before making final decisions on peripheral gear, such as a bracket. A bracket is highly personal, both the specific one, and whether to use one.</p>

<p>You also will need to buy extra camera batteries, NiMH batteries (lots) and an intelligent charger, and perhaps a monopod or tripod.</p>

<p>Use the search function and read the past threads about gear and starting up. There is a flash bracket question still active on the list, with several previous links in it.</p>

<p>Nadine hit it on the head. Search the reviews and make your own choice when it comes to cameras. Cannon and Nikon are at the top of the food chain, please note that they make many cameras from consumer to prosumer to pro and each model is different so choose not only a manufacturer but a model. While you can take a photo with a point and shoot, you will find some pro bodies sutied to low light, some to sports, etc.<br>

Then buy the best glass that you can, good glass on a prosumer body will produce better images than cheap glass on a $5000 body. I used to shoot weddings with a pair of Nikon D70s. Most brides aren't gear heads and only care about the images not the camera.<br>

As stated you'll need a backup, so save and spend your money wisely by buying once. Buy two dedicated flashes for you body. All the controls are in the same positions and you have the advantages of TTL and while you get by with a cople of old flashes and shooting manual. There is nothing faster than a wedding and having TTL is the best thing you can have in your camera bag. There is no time to fiddle, you have to have your exposure and flash right.<br>

Take if from someone who has done it all wrong, don't waste your money. Save, beg, borrow till you have the right tools to do the job. While I have been lucky over the years to never have a failure in the field, others have and there are the horror stories on Judge Joe Brown, so be ready with a backup plan. There are no shortcuts and starting a business requires a startup.<br>

Good luck with your adventure.</p>

<p>Kevin,</p>

<p>I do not want to rain on your parade, but I will agree with every post above...you need more gear. And although there are several posts on what you will need, I'll give it a go and try to list most of it off the top of my head...(and using Nadine's post as a cheat sheet :p)</p>

<p>At a minimum you will need:<br>

~ 1 additional body. This could be any body that works with your current lenses...you just need to be prepared and know how to use it...if you're not, the worst WILL happen.</p>

<p>~ At least a 50mm f/1.8. You can shoot an entire wedding with this one lens. You will be busting your butt to do it, but it can be done. Personally, I wouldn't shoot without a wide-zoom and a tele-zoom. A mid-zoom, which is what you have, I could do without... It does seem to be the wedding photographer's most used lens though.</p>

<p>~A minimum of two (2) Flashguns. You will want the top of the line Canon flashes. This will simplify what you need to learn for controls on the flash.</p>

<p>~Extra Camera Batteries...At a minimum at least 1 extra battery PER BODY...If your two bodies share the same battery, still get two extras.</p>

<p>~NiMH Batteries and an Intelligent Charger. These batteries are for your flashes. You will eat through flash batteries, so you will need a lot of them. Figure, at a minimum, you will need 1 set per flash (4x2=8) and a minimum of 2 backup sets of batteries (8x2=16), so a total of about 24 NiMH batteries...and you can't skimp on the cheapies...you need the good ones or they will overheat in the flash. On top of that you need a charger (or 3) that will keep your batteries charged EVENLY.</p>

<p>~A camera support, i.e. monopod or tripod. This is a personal preference, but I like a tripod for shots in a church from the back balcony. If you're lucky, everyone you book will have an outdoor wedding on a slightly overcast day. Reality is someone's going to get married in a church... and your first one will be a church where they don't allow flash photography. You will NEED a tripod for low light shooting unless you crank your ISO and shoot wide open...two things that don't help get you the best looking photos. You want to shoot at f/5.6 or f/8 on a tripod with a cable release.</p>

<p>There's your basic list of what you <em><strong>SHOULD</strong></em> have to shoot a wedding. I've seen it done with a whole lot less, but I'd never recommend it.</p>

<p>Hope it helps<br>

RS</p>

"...minimum set of gears that I need to practice and learn"

<P>Emphasizing on the practice and learn part, I would say a 5D2 + 24-70 + 580EXII is plenty of kit to cut your teeth on. Once you start to shoot weddings (whether as main or second shooter), you'll be well advised to have backup gear as mentioned by others. For now, try and get work as an assistant/second shooter. If this is absolutely not possible (like it was in my case), then get as much practice shooting friends and family, in as wide a variety of settings and lighting situations as you possibly can, before you contemplate charging a fee. A wedding is one of those events that you absolutely cannot afford to mess up, photographically speaking. You need to know your gear and the limitations thereof well before you start to take any photos of a couple's big day

<p>Thank you for your input.<br>

Probably I will go with Canon 580 EX II for now since it's suitable for wedding as some of you mentioned.<br>

Yes, when I am confident with my ability to produce nice pictures, I will buy back up system or at least rent the equipments until I have enough money to purchase them.<br>

If you need a helper/second shooter in Central Florida, please let me know :). I will be your working hardest student :).</p>