Hello All,

Having gotten a bunch of holders w my camera, I tested them for light leaks w

paper and most of the wooden ones leak from the loading flap side, none from

the darkslide side. One has torn tape holding the flap, but the others have

intact tape. What's the best way to fix these leaks? Do they usually have to do

w wood that doesn't fit together right after all these years, or is it usually

tape-related? All help appreciated,

GB

The only thing that can be said for sure is that it isn't tape related. The tape serves only as a hinge to allow the flap to be opened and closed, it doesn't serve to prevent light from striking the film, the light trap in the holder does that. When tape is worn I like to replace it with black tape bought at Home Depot (no need for anything special just because it's a film holder) just to make sure the flap doesn't fall off but the tape itself doesn't keep light out.

As far as fixing them goes, first you have to figure out why they're leaking. The problem isn't necessarily with the holders themselves, they may not be seated properly in your camera, the spring back on your camera may not be holding them properly, who knows. It would help if you could post a couple pictures showing a couple negatives or prints that exhibit the leaks or at least describe them.

With the flap open examine the joints of the sides and end that the flap is taped to for any joint that will allow the sharpened edge (not tip) of a razor blade or more in. Also check for movement of the end piece and sides. Many problems cam be fixed by inserting wood glue and clamping the joint closed. Check the flap for fitting flush with the rest of the frame when closed, clean groves and valleys if it does not. I use Graffers tape for flap hinge replacement but any cloth backed black tape will work, book binders tape is often recomended, duct tape will come loose in a few years and leave a nasty residue.

Brian,

I did the tests without a camera, just put some paper in them and put them outside for an hour. The fogging pattern looks like a triangle with iits base parallel to the flap, in some cases one triangle on each side (no scanner, sorry).I'm thinking of just getting some newer ones and not bothering to fix these, as there doesn't seem to be an accepted fix and diagnostic. Thanks for your help though.