fix or sell broken Canon 60D?

<p>Hi all! <br /><br />My Canon 60D broke in the middle of a trip to the Caribbean. I bought a new one in Miami and now need to decide what to do with the broken one. Can you help me?<br>

I have to decide between fixing or selling the broken Canon. Since my camera is not in the warranty period anymore, do you think the best would be to<br>

- 1st I should ship it to Canon facility in Virginia and let them look and give me a price to fix it?<br>

- just forget this and advertise to sell it as a "need repair" / "broken" item? Advertise where? On EBay, Amazon, KEH? Can I sell here?<br>

regards</p>

<p>A new 60D is $800 to 900. So used value for a great condition unit is probably about $600. I'd get an estimate and judge based on value. If it is a minor problem, the standard minimum charge is about $200 and it would be worthwhile since your resale price will be considerably higher. As a broken "as is" unit you would be lucky to score a benjamin or two as the buyer is looking for a bargain and understands they will need to spend $200 or more to fix it.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<blockquote>

<p>puppy, what does score a benjamin or two means?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The USD $100 paper currency has a picture of Benjamin Franklin on the front, so we often refer to this amount of money as a "benjamin." For example, "that new EOS 5D MK III will cost ya ah mitt full o' benjamins." Often people also refer to the $100 domination as a "bill." For example, "ah new 60D will run ya six bills o' mo'."</p>

- Robert Hunter

Get an estimate from Canon. As Puppy Face already noted, you aren't going to get much for a non-functional unit.

Personally, I'd be surprised if you got more than $100-150 for it without clear documentation of what is wrong and the

repair cost. Fully functional, you should be able to get $400-600 for a used 60D in good condition.

<p>I'm amazed a D60 sold for $460! Maybe the buyer thought it was a 60D because even a mint D60 normally goes for chump change? The EOS D60 was the model right before the 10D and is circa 2002 I believe. As I recall it only had 3 AF points and was 6MP...</p>

- Robert Hunter

<p>What Peter said! I remember watching a jaw-dropping auction for a 70-200 f/2.8 IS that had been dropped in the water along a beach. It hadn't been dried out, and the rings were frozen (with corrosion and sand). I doubt the lens could even be disassembled by a repair facility, let alone repaired. In my estimation the lens was a complete write-off. However, it fetched a higher price than an EXC+ one would have cost from KEH. </p>

<p>Sometimes all reason leaves these people's heads when they get in bidding wars. Start the camera at $.99, and watch the action!</p>