First Wedding

jocelyn_smith2

<p>I need major help. I am shooting my first wedding ever next month and need to know what equipment you would recommend. I know I need to buy a lens and a flash and am willing to spend the money to get those. The wedding is at 3:00 in a small chapel. Followed by a trolley ride of downtown Nashville. The reception will be in a dimly lit bar (Roberts Western World) from 6:00 - 9:00. They do not want me to bring a light in. I need to get a flash for my camera so I can bounce it off the ceiling, right? What lighting do I use during the ceremony? Do I use a flash?<br>

Here is what I own:<br>

Canon Rebel XSI<br>

Canon Kit Lens 18-55 0.25m/0.8ft<br>

Canon 50 mm 1:1.4<br>

Do I need one of those big long canon grey and black lenses? What flash do I need? Any tips you can give me are appreciated. Thanks!</p>

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Please tell us how advanced you are with photography and whether you have done professional work before, either in portraiture or people related photography.</p>

<p>Just from what you've said, you will need an external flash--430EX or 580EX, you won't necessarily need a big grey and black lens, but you will need a back up camera body, lens and flash, along with plenty of memory cards and batteries for both the camera and flash.</p>

<p>I would suggest you use Program mode and learn how to tell if you are underexposed or overexposed in both ambient and flash, learning how to compensate both. Use One Shot focusing, and don't use AV or aperture priority inside with flash.</p>

<p>Whether you use flash during the ceremony depends on what the church allows--find out. If they don't allow flash, that is usually confined to right after the hand off of the bride to right before the kiss at the end. Processionals and recessionals are usually OK to cover with flash. If you can't use flash, you may have to get access to a tripod.</p>

<p>You may be able to bounce off the bar's ceiling, but then again, you might not. It depends on the height and color. You can use a white card modifier or use the flash direct. Look up Neil van Niekerk's site and start reading all the articles about using on camera flash.</p>

<p>If you buy a lens, I'd suggest the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8, regular or VC.</p>

<p>Nadine - thank you for being kind. I have been shooting portraits, mostly babies and families for the last 5 years. I am trying to learn as much as I can. I will definitely check out Neil's site. You do not think I need the Canon 70-200? Also when you say "use the flash direct" do you mean the 430EX?</p>

<p>"Do I need one of those big long canon grey and black lenses?"</p>

<p>Not a good sign. Please find someone more qualified to do the wedding and be the second photographer. Otherwise this will be bad! You need a 580ex flash and use the bounce card or direct flash at least! Your rebel doesn't have good iso capabilities so I would recommend you use flash at the ceremony because if you shoot with your 50 1.4 and you don't have experience with it, you may have images out of focus. You could rent the 70-200 and I would recommend renting a better camera body.</p>

<p>Jocelyn--Neil van Niekerk has a book out too. You might start reading the archived threads (shown to the right of the list of threads).</p>

<p>No, you don't <strong>need</strong> the 70-200mm. Your 50mm f1.4 is great on a cropped sensor body unless you are banished to the back of a very large church. Then rent an 85mm f1.8 or the 70-200mm, but if not allowed to use flash, it is best to still bring a tripod.</p>

<p>When I say 'use the flash direct', I mean any flash. This is also unmodified, with the flash head pointing straight forward toward the subject. It isn't the best, but if you are not practiced with bouncing flash, it would probably be necessary.</p>

<p>The couple is very non-traditional and there are no restrictions in the chapel. They do not want a bunch of posed pictures at the ceremony or reception. Do I need to bring my light for any posed that they will let me take in the chapel after the ceremony? Or should my flash be ok?</p>

<p>rebel xsi is a capable body... i wouldn't have any issues shooting a wedding with it and producing good results. heck..i shoot weddings with my 5dm2 and i rarely go above iso 400.</p>

<p>your lenses is more of a problem...maybe rent a 20-70 or the 10-22 ef-s. go rent a flash too.. you don't need to go 580ex.a 430 would suffice.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>If you're going to buy one, Tamron 17-50mm f2.8, regular or VC. If you're going to rent, go for the 24-70mm f2.8 or 24-105mm f4, since you can use flash during the ceremony.</p>

<p>Bring your 'light' if you have an off camera flash--what is it? Usually, you can use one after the ceremony for the posed photos, although if the couple doesn't want <strong>any</strong> posed photos, why do them?</p>

<p>Sure. Be aware that during this time, you are really stressed due to time constraints, but things should be easier if they don't want a lot of posed images. I'm talking about set up, take down, figuring exposure, etc. You just don't have time to waste. You also should be aware of running cords around--liability. Don't be surprised if people ask you to shoot a lot more posed groups than you think. The couple usually have one idea, but their parents and other family have other ideas.</p>

<p>"They do not want a bunch of posed pictures at the ceremony or reception. "</p>

<p> I suggest you look into a contract right away, and get the above put in writing on it.</p>

<p> You'd be amazed how many people say one thing before the wedding, and another afterwards. Tie them down to a contract.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Hi Jocelyn,<br>

You may want to check out the Fong Dong for your future flash vs bounce cards. I think you may find it easier to work with for your first wedding. It sounds like a very casual couple and I'm sure you'll do fine. I look back and can't believe I shot my first wedding without a back up camera, because if something can go wrong ...it will, but if you can even borrow one from someone just in case something goes wrong with yours that will help. <br>

Anyway, good luck the first is the hardest! I had nightmares for weeks before hand that I showed up without my equipment, no batteries, no memory cards, thought it was the wrong day....you get the idea.</p>

<p>Ugh there are so many things that can go wrong which is why its important to second shoot and assist for a while.<br>

-Make sure you have enough batteries and don't use lithium for the flash<br>

-Check your iso every time you go inside and outside<br>

-Check your WB<br>

-Make sure you dont use a shutter speed lower than 1/60 if it's handheld<br>

-If you're in the sun use fill flash<br>

-If you can try to go for shaded areas to shoot in.<br>

-Make sure your images are in focus, chimp and if one is out of focus take it again<br>

-Check the pictures every 10-15 shots to make sure they are good, use the histogram, look for blown out highlights. Re-take anything that you don't think looks good. Just say to them "lets do it again, I need to get another angle". They won't know what you're doing.<br>

-Dont miss the first kiss in the church!<br>

There are so many things you have to prepare for.</p>

<p>Jocelyn,</p>

<p>I havent read alll the comments, i dont have time for that. What i can tell you, is to get a couple of books about wedding phtography. They give out really good explanation about it.<br>

If you are not taking this scenario as business, and you are just doing this to help out a friend, dont invest any money. If you are looking forward to get some kind of business about this, you better read some books about lighting, wedding, prints, etc.</p>

<p>A lot of people will tewll you "dont do this for god sake" blah bla blah.... Just be honest to your friend and tell them to do not expect anything else great, but you are going to do your best.</p>

<p>One advice, Best pictures you capture them moving around a lot, but dont make noise, dont be in the middle of the way.</p>