First Wedding Tips: Have I missed anything?

catchlight

A friend is about to shoot her first wedding, and asked for some

tips. She is a very capable photographer with a great eye, who just

hasn't done a wedding yet.<p>

As well as suggesting that in advance of the event she volunteer to

assist a seasoned pro as an unpaid schlepper on a wedding shoot, I

offered these tips:<p>

<li>Take charge, as tactfully as possible--you are the only one who

knows exactly what needs to happen to ensure good photos

<li>Get the B + G's expectations really clear before even taking the

job, and add your own suggestions (How "formal" do they want the

shots? Would they like a more photojournalistic approach? Do they

want any black and white? What is the biggest enlargement they might

want? What album? etc.)

<li>Take along a backup body and flash, and a range of film speeds

and types

<li>If possible, go to the venue(s) in advance at the same time of

day as the event to check for attractive backgrounds and see where

the shade will be

<li>If you can, schedule the formals for late enough that the "sweet

light" might be happening

<li>Attend the rehearsal to get the choreography clear and take some

meter readings or even test shots

<li>Meet or contact the minister or marriage official well in

advance, and get his or her preferences clear about minimum distance

you can be from the ceremony, use of flash, and any "no shooting"

moments (I've had everything from "Just don't walk between me and the

couple", to "no flash, and we're leaving the church lights off". At

one wedding, I got the B+G to gang up on the official and insist on

my being able to use flash

<li>Ask the bride to appoint a reliable friend who knows the guests

to help you round up the various combinations of family members and

friends to pose for formals

<li>Develop a definite shot list for the formals, well in advance,

and schedule the biggest groups first, so fewer people are waiting

around or drifting off to the bar when needed

<li>Leave at least two hours for the formals, including time with the

B+G alone in an attractive setting

<li>Don't let requests on the spot for extra poses throw off you time

schedule (suggest that you will do them at the end--1. if there's

time, and 2. for an extra fee)

<li>Have a "bride repair kit" on hand (hairspray, clips, spare

pantyhose, face powder, and any other item a bride might need to look

her best in photos)

<li>Never forget that the photos mean much more to the bride and her

mother than anyone else (typical groom's attitude is "whatever she

wants" or just plain "whatever". <p>

Any other key suggestions that would help anyone on a first wedding

shoot?

I always do all photos that can be done before the ceremony that I can, regardless of light. It?s just how it is. I usually plan to start photos 2 to 2.5 hours before the ceremony, depending on church regulations and the amount of photos expected. I have a check off list of people it is important to the Bride and Groom to be photographed with and take the photos in the style the Bride/Groom is most interested in. Traditional, photojournalist, or posed in a non-standard way. I always talk this over before hand. You will stress out the Bride and her mother if you are demanding 2 hours between the end of the ceremony and the reception. People will not be happy with you, and you will not end up with referrals. I only bring 400-speed film, unless I expect a really dim setting, then I bring 800 too. I do this because I don't want to load one film type and meter for another. That is an easy mistake. If people ask you to take a particular picture and it's not impossible, then do it. Reprints make way more money then the cents it cost you to have the proof developed. It makes business sense and people love you for it. It's a good way to become a family photographer if you do a good job. Tell her to relax and have a good time, nothing will go according to schedule but she will still be expected to have all the pictures they want. It's a good challenge. I love it; she may too. Oh yeah, get a contract.

If she's good, she's good. End of discussion.<br>

If I needed any kind of advices, I would not do weddings on my own.<br>

I do weddings on my own, because I don't need lectures anymore.<br>

You give her a credit as "very capable" AND also give her wedding photography 101 cliffs note?<br>

If she has to take your advices... she's not ready.<br>

If she looks at you and say "Don't bother me, you think I'm stupid?", then she's OK.<br>

Derek: This what she actually said, via e-mail (since she lives 500 miles away):<p>

<i>"Wow! Thank you for all the info! I appreciate your confidence in me--it has more weight when it comes from another photographer and not a (most likely) biased friend. Do you mind if I pick your brain about any questions I come up with as I try to put together a plan?"</i>

<p>

She is a better landscape photographer than I will ever be, but she recognizes that wedding photography differs greatly from most other kinds of photography:<br>

<li>The event moves quickly and is non-repeatable, so the photog has to nail everything including exposure, composition, DOF, and more the first time

<li>The photographer is recording one of the most important moments in the lives of two people (and, for that matter, two families) and has to work under the pressure of limited time and high expectations--all the while exhibiting goodwill, patience, and respect for the solemnity of the event

<li>There is much to negotiate, in advance and on the spot--from style, to content, to schedule, to method of working, to price.<p>

Note that most of my suggestions, and that's all they are, are about the "people" aspect of wedding photography, and not the technical. She needs no help in that regard.<p>

Does anyone else have any thoughts that might help someone preparing to shoot their first wedding?

Is she short or is she tall? You might suggest she prepare to go shoeless to stand on a pew to shoot the group shots if she is short. Or take a sturdy chair (no folders) to stand up on.

Like noted above -- 2 hours to shoot after the ceremony is going to get the lady photographer into Dutch with the food folks waiting, waiting, and waiting to get the meal into action.

I like your list. May I copy it for my files...only as a personal reference.

I agree that 2 hours is far too much for formals for two reasons: first, most churches won't give you that much time, and second, that is too long for the B/G, wedding party, and family. They will get tired and become impatient. They want to party!

Usually 30 minutes is typical, and many times you get only 20 minutes. work out a plan. I like to use an inverted pyramid approach: 1) family first and send them off to the reception. Then 2), the wedding party. 3) Last the B/G portraits. If you're short on time with the B/G portraits, go outside or catch them right away at the reception. Ideally, a pre-wedding B/G portrait session is idea but many couple are still superstitious.

I would seriously suggest that you get an aggressive family member to round up everyone who needs to be photographed after the ceremony. Also, practice using an assembly-line approach to the "firing squad" photos...line 'em up and say, "Next..." You can get "romantics" later.

Time is one major reason I gave up using studio lighting for formals.

Attending the rehersal can be beneficial, for you, but generally you are ignored and there is a danger that you will be tempted to interject yourself into the rehersal doing photography and leave a negative impression. Check first. You can often get the same info by getting to the church early and you can chat with the coordinator then. Also, try to meet the officient (minister, priest, Rabbi, etc.)and make a good, friendly, "I'm not going to get in your way" impression.

Leave a good general impression no matter how bad you think it's going. As the photographer, you are a leader, and your positive, enthusiastic attitude and change a bummer of a wedding into a happy event...really.

Give the people more of your time and attention than you give to your equipment! Think about that. (^o^)

Pretty extensive notes already. I'll just comment on the points I think haven't been addressed. You say she typically shoots landscapes? This is going to be a huge change for her.

-Never explain, never discuss a problem. Only tell them what they need to do. Avoid phrases like, "I need X," even if X is "10 minutes. Just tell them, "Please do Y."

-When doing the family portraits, start with the largest groups of people and work your way down to just the bride & groom. This has two advantages: it gets the mass of loitering people out of the way and if you are running close to the edge, the church is much less likely to kick out three people (including the bride & groom) than they are to demand everyone leave.

Derek has elicited exactly the info we needed at the head of the post. It sounds like your friend has little experience in the way of people photography! Although originally a reasonably capable landscape photographer, I have found getting into wedding photography to be a more challenging process than I anticipated. The most important thing I have found is to plan everything in advance as much as possible. If you don't you will be swallowed up by the frantic pace of the proceedings, and will forget (or be unable to) to take all the shots you need. For instance your friend needs to allocate time to take detail shots of the venue/flowers/decorations. In between shooting formals, she mustn't forget to take candids for that all important PJ look. Reconnaisance of the venue beforehand always helps so she can plan overview/ceremony shots. She needs a plan B for adverse weather conditions. Are you sure technical issues are not a problem? The technical aspects of wedding photography are vastly different to landscape and cannot be learned from books or the web. I see you have already given some possibly misleading advice about using the "golden hour." Late afternoon light can be great for landscapes, but the yellow cast is generally not so great for wedding photos. The bride may want one or two pics at the end of the album with the twilight glow, but that will be all! Anyway, I'm sure your friend will be fine, and will learn quickly - the first few weddings are always a bit nerve-wracking...