first wedding pictures

steve_west

the pics below are results of a wedding i did for a friend. usually i do fashion and

portraits, not weddings. feel free to critizise. anything b&w is done on a leica m7 and the

colour images done on a canon d1s. thanks marc w. for all your advise. there are lots of

others, like the formals, family etc but these capture the essence of the day the best i

think. client wanted a documentary feel...<div>0084nj-17726284.jpg.6d7b39c86e1c25ee7037e38d6f569860.jpg</div>

marc,

no, not putting anything on a site, although i believe the groom has as he wants to be able

to show people who are scattered all over the globe..

i'm making DVD with the guy who did the video. just put my pictures into a slide show

with some music that doesn't come across as tacky.... very difficult to do especially with

wedding snaps!

Mr West,

Very refreshing. You could almost hear a pin drop with the first

few photos (bride getting dressed). It is nice to see a

non-western wedding. I would like to see more, maybe of the

ceremony. I bet it was a great experience for you coming from

fashion where everything is so, so set up and contrived. Keep

up the good work.

Best,

Richard Brown

Richard,

that's an interesting comment. i never thought of the pictures in an audiotory fashion...

now that you mention it, it was all very quiet and 'civil', contray to what i had imagined.

and yes, very different from what i normally do. i did learn one thing in this all - i don't

think i could do it for a living. i enjoyed the day because i wanted to give something to

my friends that i care about a lot. this is not something i feel i could do for people i

don't know. i'm not sure why but it's just a feeling.

another friend is getting married next month, christian style wedding. young japanese

couples prefer this western style even though they are buddist or shinto. it's just the

way things have turned out. shame, as i think the japanese style is so elegant. anyway,

it'll be interesting to see how this next one turns out... i don't think i'll be able to refrain

from seeing the irony in it all. if there is anything interesting, i'll post it.

You have some wonderful images. Very artistic and unique, a blend of your own style and photojournalistic photography. I am curious about the appearance of the entire wedding story. Couples enjoy the detail and art shots, but remember to work in plenty of shots where people are clearly visible. "Commercial photojournalism" is the hot thing for weddings now, but clear shots of the guests and wedding party (if that's done in Japanese culture) are important to couples.