first time with holga.....disaster

I was given a press pass to get back stage at a local circus.

thought would be perfect for the holga.

nothing came out!!! most were either under or over exposed. shot out

doors with 400 and indoors with 3200

with a locked shutter of about 1/100th and two f stops of f8 or f11

how do you get proper exposures? are you just tring to get in the

ballpark and then fixing in printing?

also, i had a total light leak from not having the film rolled in

tight enough. how do i avoid that?

thanks

Repeat after me: "I will NEVER (again) use a camera I am unfamiliar with to photograph anything of importance. I will ALWAYS run at least one roll of film through a new camera before photographing anything of significance with it. I will ALWAYS read manufacturers' directions for both my camera and film before use". Hopefully you will have beter luck next time.

Dan, don't feel frustrated. My first experience with Holga was even worse than yours.

I wasted two rolls just to practice loading the film.

To avoid light leak, you can cut a piece of cardboard from the film box and insert in

the space between the taking spool (with film lead wrapped) and the camera body. If

still feel insecure, tape the camera with black photographic tape. To learn more about

Holga, you can go to http://www.toycamera.com .

Delta 3200 is not enough for indoor shots because it is not real 3200. If you push it

to 3200, it is too grainy. For low light, you need to use B-shutter (in the new

120N model or modified model from holagmods.com ) or use a hot-shoe mounted

flash. (See my Subway and Capoeira series in this forum for example.)

But there are exceptions:

http://www.photo.net/photo/2430728

The limit of Holga is the limit of your imagination.

To fix the light leaks, cut 'foamies' brand sheet foam, which can be found in almost any craft shop, into thin strips (~1mm or so) and push them into the slot running around the camera back. The cardboard under the spool trick works well for me for film tightness, but be sure to still load and unload in very subdued light. As far as exposure goes, I have a hard time estimating my self, but with practice you can get to the point where you can judge if the light level is too low or not. Alternatively, shoot what you want and then meter the light so you know how best to develop. I use Tri-X mostly because it is versitile enough to allow for a wide choice of development options.

- Randy

<< I think my comment is more useful and will last longer than the Holga. Your opinion is not my concern. >>

Your comment is worthless and has nothing to do with the question at hand. If my opinion was not your concern then there would have been no reason for you to reply.

A couple of my old Kodak folders roll up the film very loosely. What I do to avoid fogging the film is to place the camera inside my black changing bag to remove the film. I don't zip up the bottom of the bag, but the protection is enough so that I don't get leaks through the edges. For temporary field storage of exposed roll film, I also carry along one or two of the little plastic cylindric containers that J and C film comes in.

There are several basic steps that most people do before they use their Holgas. First is to paint the inside with matte black spray paint to avoid light bouncing around inside. Then cover the holes on the interior of the body with black tape. Then use a piece of thin cardboard folded in half under the spool on the left to create tension. Tape up the red window from the outside, except when you are winding the film... If you still have some light leaks, you can use electrical tape where the back comes off...

My idea is to put the Holga in the trash, a suitable repair proccess for such a camera. That's what I think and I am certainly entitled to say that.

Your opposition of my basic right to comment here will not achieve anything. I offered you a hand in peace and you offered me a slap in the face. No one else has bothered with this so I hope we can now forget the issue.

Cheers.

Ok, I see your point about that, sorry. I do appreciate the interest in alternative cameras, I like the idea too. I had actually forgotten which forum I was in. My comments were not intended as trolls, and so I appologize if they were percieved that way.

Cheers.

<< Your opposition of my basic right to comment here will not achieve anything. I offered you a hand in peace and you offered me a slap in the face. No one else has bothered with this so I hope we can now forget the issue. >>

Your attempts to claim the moral high ground here are pathetic. You are a troll. You claim you have some "right" to post your opinion and then discard others differences of opinion as meaningless and "not your concern." You are a troll and nothing more.

Dan:

Dont listen to what some of these people are saying. Ive met with several rude people on this board... but also some really great and wonderfully helpful people. It has amazed me that some people would bother to be a part of an "alternative cameras" forum who would consider peoples expereiments a waste of time. Its a good thing George Eastman, Edwin Land or ANY real artist or inventor never listens to people like that. Dont be dissuaded, you can take really wonderful photographs with your $20 holga with some tinkering!

Ben:

Theres an old adage in the world of painting that i think applies to photography somewhat too. To paraphrase: If you cant take GOOD photographs with a BAD camera (subject matter, compostion, lighting, exposure... ) then your just going to take BAD photographs with the GOOD camera. Besides.... sometimes people DO actually like to try things out just to have FUN!!!

Settle down, Ben and Rob, or I'll send you to your rooms! Dan, I agree with this statement: "I will NEVER (again) use a camera I am unfamiliar with to photograph anything of importance. I will ALWAYS run at least one roll of film through a new camera before photographing anything of significance with it. I will ALWAYS read manufacturers' directions for both my camera and film before use". I've used Holgas for years now, and the first roll I put through one, half was garbage, since I left the lens cap on!! Ever since then, I've had very good luck (colour film seems to work much better than B&W - don't ask me why). The Holga is a great camera, but even though I love it, I would never use it for anything of any importance, but would stick with a camera I was very familiar with. Even though this is no use to you now, it will help you in the future. As for light leaks, next time use black electrical tape to tape up every seam on the outside of the camera, this usually helps. Don't give up on the Holga, they're a lot of fun, just don't expect too much!!

Nancy<div>00D1LK-24876184.jpg.e2229a9512923d995a79d736f674aab9.jpg</div>

I was only trying to be helpful, hence my comments about roll film loading and light seal replacement etc. Sorry you got the wrong impression. I do understand the need for fun with cameras etc, I am neither a killjoy or a troll. Terms like troll belong in the literature of Tolkien.

About your comments on painting: Yes, I do enjoy painting, drawing, playing music, making violins, violas, and Cello's. I have just finished some major repairs on valuable Italian instruments. Photography is a hobby. Good job I can use a good camera, so I don't have to use a Holga.

Thankyou.