first-time Bar Mitzvah pricing

anna_spector

I'm shooting my first Bar Mitzvah this Saturday and I have no idea how much to

charge. I have never shot weddings before either (the woman who asked me to do

this does know that). I'm still a student and I have relatively limited

equipment (Canon XTi with 5g worth of memory cards, a tripod, and a remote, plus

whatever furniture I can stand on). The event seems pretty informal (for a Bar

Mitzvah); it is in a reform temple, and the majority of the kids who will be

there are involved in circus acting, so part of the after-party will be a circus

show followed by a party in the museum they rehearse in. It seems pretty

unconventional and the mom doesn't want anything too formal (no table shots,

etc). The shoot is a service Saturday morning, the circus show and party

Saturday afternoon/evening, and possibly a rehearsal on Friday (she hasn't

gotten back to me on that yet). I have been to several Bar/Bat Mizvahs but it

was way back in the day (when I was 13 there was one literally every weekend).

Based on my level of experience (I am a photography student and I work part-time

for a local newspaper, which is how I met the mom in the first place, but have

never done a wedding/mitzvah before), how much can/should I charge for this?

What is the range? I don't plan to charge as much as a professional photog

would, but I do need to charge enough to make it worth my time. Any and all

advice is welcome!!!

Thanks!

Anna

Most wedding photographers who shoot Bar Mitzvahs charge for them like they do for weddings. Another factor is your location. You need to find out what pros in your area charge for Bar Mitzvahs. Prices vary across the country, with urban areas and big cities having higher prices. Then drop the price based on the fact you are a beginner. Off the top of my head, and not knowing where you are located, I'd say $500-$800, not including albums. It also depends how much you want the experience and possible samples for your portfolio.

I'm in St. Louis currently. Scold away; I don't have extra anythings yet (still an indebted college student!). What I have has been working for me photographing for the newspaper. I have 2 memory cards and 2 batteries plus a charger. The mom knows I don't have a ton of equipment and all she really wants are organized, edited photos on a CD; as far as I know, no printing or albums I need to produce.

From what I gathered, she asked me to do this somewhat last-minute (I was photographing a rehearsal at the circus program and she approached me about it). I do absolutely want the experience, the reference, the portfolio etc, but I can't afford to do it for free.

Well, even a point and shoot can be used as a back-up. Or borrow something from a fellow student. Anytime you accept money for a shoot, you must accept the responsibility of having a back-up. Not so much on the memory cards and batteries, although having 2 camera batteries I consider essential. You HAVE to have something to grab if your primary camera goes down for whatever reason. Working for a newspaper is one thing--if you are shooting stuff that can be redone, having a backup isn't a problem. Or if others can cover for you should your gear go down. An event such as a wedding or even a bar mitzvah (to a lesser extent)--certain parts just cannot be repeated. You MUST have a back-up. End of scold. What you do after this is up to you, but how difficult is it to borrow a P&S (at the very least) for that day?

Hopefully someone from your area can respond re going rates.

For your first, keep the price low, but not too low. I think $1500 ablums includes, and up is fair, based on your area. $800 in some areas is fair, without an album, but if you are too inexpensive they worry that you are not good! It's sort of a mind game.

Bar's and Bat's are not easy, actually harder then a wedding because usually there are Temple shots required a fews days before the service, not a ceremony as often referred to, and these are formal shots, not free style candids. Plus at the reception there are a lot of needed detail shots, table shots, a great amount of time getting shots that mom wants, which were not taken a few days before. I actually take more images compared to a wedding.

Most temples have rules, such as no shots during the service. So check with the rabbi or the cantor as well as the actual family for the rules. If you break a rule, I've seen Rabbi's stop the service. Not a pleasent situation to be in. You will NOT be able to run around. A long zoom will be a nice friend to have - 300mm to 400mm.

If you pull off nice work, word travels fast, you will get many other bookings, so perhaps raise your price then. One local studio gets 75% of there work for Bars and Bats. Funny thing is they'd rather do weddings because it's a bit easier.