First Senior Photo Shoot

ejchem101

<p>Hello all of you photogs!</p>

<p>A couple of things... To add to the conversation it may help if you checked out my folder on senior photos posted here:<br>

??<a href="../photodb/folder?folder_id=984334">http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=984334</a></p>

<p>A few questions: <br>

#1: Since this was my first official "portrait" setup, I was wondering how long I should take at each location / setting.<br>

Most of these photos were taken at one setting (a park) but then, after about 1 hr of shooting, we headed out to another location 30mins away. By the time we got there, the light was well fading and I had to bump the ISO completely up in order to get usable photos... the 30min drive could have been spent at the park, but the senior wanted to try and get some photos near a camp she attended as well.</p>

<p>#2: My wife and the girl's mother was there helping, I took the stance of: if the parents liked a certain location or pose, we tried it. How much does this influence your shooting, or how much do you let it?</p>

<p>Thanks for the pointers!</p>

<p>Erik</p>

<p>Background: I'm not a professional (so take this for what it's worth!), but I was recently recommended to someone to do a senior portrait so I've been thinking about this. (I turned her down because I don't think I have my flash technique down well enough.)</p>

<p>But, I decided to take my 16 year old son out and practice some casual portraits. I wanted to give him some freedom to stand or sit in a way that was comfortable and natural for him, but I quickly realized that I needed to make careful decisions about how to pose him, mainly to get the light in the right place. He couldn't see how the light looked in the viewfinder, especially how much contrast there was, so I often had to move him or have him turn slightly. </p>

<p>That's just my very humble opinion! I like the poses, but to me it seems like some of them put her in light that isn't flattering. As a parent, I would expect an experienced portrait photographer to guide or advise on locations and poses. (This is not a criticism, just my expectations. And of course my expectations would be different if I knew the photographer was still gaining experience.)</p>

<p>P.S. I really like the Sunset Golf picture that is at the bottom of this thread - I think you used the light very effectively there. </p>

<p>Thank you Lisa,<br /> I am still working on my flash exposure work as well. I did a lot of advising of where to take the photos etc, but did also allow the parents to advise if they noticed something they would like.<br /> Also, something to add to this thread is please let me know if there is any post-processing that you think would work well, or is some of what I did too much / not enough in certain photos.<br /> Lastly, what shutter speed is too slow for stationary portraits taken on a tripod? I did most of mine at 1/200th (max sync speed). As the light started fading, I found myself going down to 1/30th and ISO 1600 in order to get some background light.</p>

<p>In addition, I am also not a professional, and do not charge for these photos. However, I do always strive to be my best in the things that I do. I take these photos purely for the enjoyment / charity of it at the moment.</p>

<p>Just wanted to add that I especially liked your pictures of her in the grass, and I have a beautiful picture of my daughter posed similarly at our Botanical Gardens. I think your senior and her mom will be very pleased with your pictures. And I love the idea of taking pictures at the camp. In fact, I may borrow that!</p>

<p>Finally, just in case it appeared otherwise, I want to make sure you know that I'm not criticizing anything you did! I'm really sort of thinking through this myself, trying to decide if I feel comfortable doing this for someone else. I think that once I can consistently get the fill-flash right, I'll borrow some other teens and see how it goes.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Hi Erik,</p>

<p>Senior photos can really be a challenge, with the senior having his/her ideas and the parents having their ideas.</p>

<p>The one constant I always work toward, since these are portraits after all, is the eyes. That being said, the third of your shots, (the second one where the senior is lying in the grass), is the one that works for me. That image brings me right in to her eyes and I get a sense of who she is. </p>

<p>IMHO the other images are too busy, to many distractions, and there is not as much emphasis on the eyes.</p>

<p>Just my opinion, hope it helps.</p>

<p>Best,<br>

-Tim</p>

<p>Good first effort - the parents and the senior should be happy with these. </p>

<p>If it were me - I'd do a couple of tight crops of her - zooming in on her face and eyes. Also - I'd trick out a couple with Alien Skin - but again - that's me. </p>

<p>High Key, Sepia, Color enhanced (think more saturation) and B/W are the key things Seniors look for. </p>

<p>The poses you show are pretty standard - I do those or variations with most of my seniors - but I also look for opportunities to trick out a few poses... Things like - sitting in the middle of RR Tracks, tight rope walking on RR tracks, Sitting in a bed of flowers, Finding a unique view or location in the area... </p>

<p>A lot of seniors (and photographers) go to the same 3 places for their senior sessions. The key is to find new spaces and make that person's photos "THEM" while keeping Mom and the Senior happy.</p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>Thanks for your comments, Tim and David. A friend and I have been talking through this - she has a senior this year and is planning to take his picture herself. (She is quite capable but not a professional and is trying to think of something original.) I'm sharing your comments with her.</p>