First roll with CLA'd Agfa Record III

bennybee

Dear Friends,

I have finally put a roll of film through my CLA'd Agfa Record III.

I got the camera for free at my local photo store because it was in

a rather sorry state. The focusing ring was frozen (of course, it's

an old Agfa...) and the 105mm/f4.5 Solinar lens had some fungus.

Following the good advice found on this forum and on Roland and

Caroline's website I dismantled the front part of the lens, cleaned

the threads of the focusing ring and the now accessible glass

surfaces. In the process I also overflooded the Synchro Compur

shutter with lighter fluid. The fungus had already etched the inner

glass surface and the lens coating was also damaged. Next I had

Jürgen Kreckel replace the bellows and look into the shutter. He

said it was a 'sorry' Solinar and that was enough to make me want to

test the poor camera. After all, by now I had invested money in

it...

I put a roll of HP5+ through it, which was developed in Rodinal

1+25. The images I took are nothing special but they came out rather

good. Of course, a roll of colour film would be the true test to see

how the 'sorry' Solinar with the damaged coating will behave, bt I

intend to use the camera for black & white landscape pictures. Will

try to post a scan here now, ut I'm not much of a scanning person

and especially b&w is hard on my Epson Perfection 1240. Thanks for

reading.<div>00A7zu-20474484.thumb.jpg.0c7de6723d7af04b3c16b743cb41ab20.jpg</div>

Mike, Thanks. When looking at the picture on the CRT monitor of the office PC the image looks darker than on my home LCD monitor. I admit that the original image IS rather muddy and murky. The weather was grey but I think it also has to do with the scanning technique. I scanned at 300dpi in colour neg. mode and converted to greyscale in PS Elements 2. Then I played just a little with the three markers in the 'levels'. Can anyone perhaps give me some short advice regarding the workflow for scanning b&w negatives? Thanks in advance.

Looks like that lens is giving you some nice detail to work with. I see a little aliasing in the powerlines which is probably an artifact of the jpeg compression.<br>    I use an Epson 2450 flatbed with SilverFast software. My work flow in PS 7.0 with mf negatives is usually to start with a 1200 dpi scan if I don't need bigger than an 8x10 print. I then adjust levels and contrast and often add a tiny bit of sharpening with Filter/Sharpen/Unsharp Mask with the image displayed at 100%. Image/Mode/Grayscale is a good choice with bw because otherwise you just have two additional channels of information and a file size 3X bigger than needed.<br>    If I want to publish the picture to the web, I use Image/Image Size to reduce the picture dimensions to about 500 X 700 pixels. After that, I usually use Filter/Sharpen/Sharpen to restore the the proper sharpness after size reduction. If that over-does the sharpening to produce prominent edge lines, I back up and use Unsharp Mask at around 25%. Finally, I use the File/Save for Web command and select Medium compression to produce an image size of around 40K.

Benny, <a href=http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=009cf3 target=_new><b>take a look at this thread</b></a>.<P>

You'll need to scroll about halfway down the thread. It's just a very basic explanation of making adjustments using levels and the histogram. One thing to watch is to be careful not to blow out your highlights.<P>

Ideally, your monitor would be calibrated, but that involves more money. One of the things I'm planning to do some day.<P>

Mike C., thank you so much for the clear explanation - it is just what I was looking for to hear. Mike E., thanks to you also, for the link to this interesting thread. I remember having seen the image of the kids on the fair here a while ago, but I must have missed the follow-ups with your explanations. Great stuff - I will try that ot this week-end. I will also post a picture from my first roll from my 'new' Rolleiflex soon. That was a colour neg film and I find that somehow a bit easier to scan. In a way colour is more forgiving because you get an 'acceptable' result more rapidly. But I will definately shoot some moe with the Solinar too.

Mike, thanks for the tip. I already knew the site and Michael Reichmann's articles are indeed very interesting. The problem is that everybody seems to be able to produce sparkling black & white pictures from scanning negatives but I only get awfull muddy pictures where no tweaking seems to be able to recreate right whites and blacks like I am used to in my retired wet darkroom. Replies I got on the 'Digital Darkroom' forum suggested that Ilford Delta 400 and Rodinal were the worst possible combination, which is probably true but that was what I had at hand at that time. The HP5+ in Rodinal seems to work better, but the above resulting picture is perhaps more due to the big 6x9cm negative. It is the first time ever that I use Rodinal - I was a Microphen user before. I bought Rodinal because I don't shoot enough film and I end up throwing away more products than I can use and the Rodinal concentrate is said to keep for a long time. I think I will switch to HC-110...

Rodinal tends to make contrastier negatives than just about anything else, I think, so I'm doubtful that your film and developer is the problem. I would be more suspicious of your scanning software. The programs that are bundled with scanners often do not get the job done. I think the problem is usually in the automated sensing of the tonal range. A possible work-around is to increase both contrast and brightness, which seems a little counter-intuitive. Try increasing contast to 15 and brightness to 7 as a starter. Also, it is important that your mask for the negative not include any black edge as that will reduce over-all contrast of the image considerably.

Thanks Mike. Well, the suspect 35mm Delta400/Rodinal negatives do look rather normal to the naked eye and I was at first very surprised that they yielded such crappy scans. I would need to print them 'the wet way' to be sure. I suspected the scanner itself, but like you say it is probably the Twain 5 software that is in cause. I should perhaps change that for Vuescan or Silverfast. Anyway, I will try to rescan and tweak both the Agfa Record III negatives and the 35mm negatives like you described above and report back. I appreciate all your help and that of the other members here.