first pinhole images

I like your images. Try getting lower with something interesting in the forground. This

adds and interesting element and takes advantage of the "infinite" depth of field (or

uniform fuzziness). I don't thing there is such a thing as cheating in pinhole. Cheers

So here's an image, one of the first.

I was on my way to Bergen and couldn't afford a wide angle lens for the Hasselbald, so providing the drive to build this one. I had the dark slides, spent half a day making the metal pinhole, then utilised off-cuts of picture framing materials to build the camera. At zero shift, the pinhole is dead centre in the removable plate. This can be rotated to provide shift in any direction. ie up/down, left/right. I used the full 20mm vertical for this photograph. The front of the box "zooms" forward. I set off from Oslo to Bergen with this box made of foamcore wood and cardboard and two loaded darkslides, and of course a tripod. It was a liberating feeling to leave all the other camera gear behind. I could make only four photographs. The thought processes were different.

The exposure was a total of 13 minutes. Some 75 people walked through the scene during the picture taking. If they stood still, or slowed down, or when people wearing light-coloured clothing appeared, I covered the pinhole and continued the exposure when they moved on, Just under the arch there's a "ghost" of a guy in a white shirt.

I retrieved 3 boxes of the film from a waste disposal unit. Not knowing anything about it, I guessed it would be in the region of 6 to 12 asa used continuous tone, so set about experimenting with water-bath treatment in dilute Rodinal on test pieces. My mind was racing through everything I remembered from Ansel Adams's "The Negative" as I was processing this neg., adjusting on gut feelings. It worked a treat.

The pinhole was too small to measure, so I placed it in the Durst with calibrated mast, and elevated it to exactly 8x then measured the projected circle. This allowed me to calculate the F number, which is approx f250 at the shortest setting, and f350 with the front standard fully extended (for a slightly narrower picture angle)

All a bit obsessive I guess, but healthy occupational therapy.

The sky's the limit Franklin, and there's no such thing as cheating. If it works, do it.

Cheers, Kevin.<div>00KHSa-35407784.jpg.738aea4acd4b6105c6e21a9475615a71.jpg</div>

Great work Kevin!

the Duaflex is a 6x6 neg and used 620 film.

So I re-rolled some 120 agfa apx100 onto the 620 spools. (I got the last 2 rolls of Agfa from my local store, sadly they only carry tmax film now and had no b+w developers at all.)

The images made were in the neighbourhood of 30 sec on a windy day adding to the 'fuzziness'.

I've really no idea what the aperature would be. So i'm just guessing as to exposure times.

I'm finding this type of photography quite facinating and hope to improve with time.<div>00KHbv-35412384.jpg.6e50bcf4a502e3e0c75cb19f5d59d004.jpg</div>

• 2 years later...

<p>Kevin,<br /> Once again I am impressed by you! I've been looking for Zone Sieves for Hasselblad for a while now. In my investigations, I wound up here. I'm still looking around. And if nothing should be considered cheating, has anyone tried putting a fisheye conversion lens in front of a pinhole? Would you be able to use a pinhole with a larger aperture, simply because of the fisheye's ability to focus the light? \</p>

<p>Xavian-Anderson Macpherson \<br>

ShingoshiDao</p>

<p>Hi ! What a surprise.<br>

Well, of course you could do that, but it ceases to be a pinhole camera.<br>

When I have access to a 8x10 inch camera someday, I'll try the pinhole I made to see just how the full image circle looks. I quite like the look of some view camera images where the lens used has an image circle smaller than recommended for the format used. There is the awareness that a camera was part of the event.<br>

But by all means, experiment. The experienced gained is often worth more than you expected.<br>

Cheers, Kevin</p>