First Out of Stock...

daverhaas

<p>Was doing some routine shopping at Target yesterday and decided to run through the Camera / Electronics area - 4 Nikon slots had a notice up - "Due to the recent disaster in Japan, we are out of stock on this item. We do not know when we will receive further stock - Thank you for your understanding and patience." </p>

<p>All were in their DSLR section - which typically is the D3000, 3100, 5000, and 5100 and assorted consumer lenses. They had the 3100 and 1 5100 - plus a 55-200 zoom. So I'm guessing the OOS was the 5000, 3000 and a couple of zooms. </p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>Yes Shun - I'm aware of that - Just trying to figure out what DSLR would be out of stock at a Target due to the trouble in Japan. </p>

<p>Since both were discontinued - I'd expect to see nothing there instead of the sticker that was... </p>

<p>Also - since Target doesn't carry the high end stuff - it's a little surprising to see that sticker. Unless some of the P/S's are made in Japan or key parts for the lower end products are made in Japan. </p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>Possibly the camera's depends on Japanese manufacturing in a less then obvious manner. Maybe electronics or parts are manufactured in Japan. I think most things are made in multiple countries.</p>

<p>I was in a camera store a couple weeks ago. They were pretty much sold out of high end digital camera's. The guy said right after the quake people came in and bought up the place and now they are having trouble getting new shipments. I was just shopping for a Benro Travel Angel tripod and they do not carry them anyway. </p>

<p>Again, production of the D3000 and D5000 were discontinued in the latter part of 2010, months before the Japan earthquake in March 2011. Therefore, the earthquake shouldn't have any effect on the availability of those models at all.</p>

<p>When Nikon introduced the D3100 in August, 2010: <a href="00X6PA">http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00X6PA</a><br>

they explicitely pointed out that the D3100 was a replacement for both the D3000 as well as the D5000. The D3100 has specifications that are stronger than those for the D5000.</p>

<p>All the Nikon D7000 combo packs are gone from Costco too. The demonstration model will be available for sale on Monday. I don't see them selling well at nearly $2000 a pop with tax, when most Costco customers would opt for the Canon rebel pack with two lenses for $899.</p>

<p>Yeah here in WA state we have almost 10% sales tax, so $1799 (the price after the instant rebate) plus tax is nearly $2000, which is the highest cost camera package I've ever seen in the store. They had around 50 on a pallet a couple weeks ago, and they either moved them to other stores where they were selling out, or just sent them back for a credit. </p>