First Look at a Sony FDR-AX700

Discussion in 'Video' started by Ed_Ingold, Dec 2, 2019.

1. The record button is greyed out because the Ninja V is not receiving a signal.

Open the Ninja V operating menu by touching on of the display windows at the top (e.g., Time Code). See if you are getting an input. You can also see the resolution and frame rate at the top of the viewing window.

Make sure the HDMI cable is connected to the HDMI IN port.
    Make sure the source is set to HDMI (not SDI)

In the AX700, if you are shooting 4K, you must select whether the video will be displayed on the LCD or via HDMI. You can't do both. 1080p output is automatic and can do both at once.

Try a different HDMI cable.

2. I started this thread as a personal review of the Sony FDR-AX700, and I'm using this camera regularly. But there are alternatives. I think the reasons I like the AX700 are more important than the make and model.
    • A 1" sensor has about the most potential short of a M43, Super-35 or FF camera
    • The cost is reasonable for a camera which produces professional quality results
    • It has a good built-in lens, unlike more advanced cameras (e.g., Black Magic) which require separate purchase of a lens
    • A clean (no labels or data) HDMI output is essential
    • A full sized (type A) HDMI connector is much more reliable under field conditions than a mini or micro connector
    • XLR mic/line inputs are good to have, but in practice are seldom used outside of electronic news gathering (or wireless). Who wants to drag mic cables along with the camera.
    • Battery options which will give you at least 3 hours of recording (the large AX700 battery lasts about 4.5 hours)
    • Better yet, the ability to use a large professional V or Gold mount battery (not possible with the AX700 due to a proprietary power connector).
    • Dual memory cards, for backup or serial operation.
    • Dedicated controls for frequently used functions
    • Programmable buttons
    If you want 4,2,2 10-bit (or higher) output, time code, genloc, SDI, or ethernet outputs, you have to spend more money, and have a larger, heavier load to carry.

3. With the introduction of the Sony FX6, a full-frame cinematic camera will all the bells and whistles, the highly capable FS5m2 will probably undergo a dramatic price reduction. Any of the FF or DX Sony lenses will fit, although with a Super-35 sensor (1.5x), you have a limited choice of wide angle lenses. Both cameras are currently listed at about $5500, but I wouldn't be surprised if the the FS5 dropped as low as $3500, the same range as high-end mirrorless cameras.

I've been using mine for one-camera shoots.The camera itself is only 1.5 pounds, but with a video lens and cage, it's large and heavy, but nearly self-contained. SDI is built in and a V-mount battery (90 amp-hours) will run it all day (> 8 hours). Shooting with room light is a snap. The ISO goes to 25,600 and the output is 12-bit, with log gamma options, so high contrast scenes are well under control.

If you shoot for pay, it doesn't hurt to show up with a professional looking camera, with all the cables and doo-dads. The results are pretty impressive too.