First Glance Photo with a Truck as a Prop

daverhaas

<p>I have a bride who wants her first glance photo (the reaction shot when her husband to be sees her in her dress for the first time) to be taken with a restored (Completely) pickup truck from the 40's.</p>

<p>As of now she has no preference who is sitting in the truck - her or husband, but she does want one of them to be sitting in it and the other to react upon seeing each other.</p>

<p>Has anyone done this? Any suggestions or ideas? I have plenty of ideas for once they've seen each other and we can do a shot around the truck.</p>

<p>Typically the first look shots I do - groom is standing, with eyes closed - bride comes in behind him, and I'm in front and maybe slightly above (ladder or chair) them.</p>

<p>Thanks in advance.</p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>Well, the husband ought to be sitting in the truck, because part of the whole thing about First Glance shots is seeing the bride in full (length) glory, which will not be so good if she is sitting in the truck.</p>

<p>I'd do it so the bride comes from around the end of the truck, so you can do shots of the groom leaning out the driver's window, possibly with his hand over his eyes, while she peeks out from the end of the truck. Then he can see her in the rear view mirror as she approaches and you can get the facial expression and her approaching at the same time.</p>

<p>When she gets to the driver's window, she leans in for some shots while you circle all around, being sure to get the reflection in the rear view. Then he gets out and you get the full lengths, maybe having him get out and kiss her hand or something.</p>

<p>I would place the fiance in the truck. If you place the husband in the truck, the fiance will be jealous and the husband will be wondering why the bride is back in her wedding dress… kidding.</p>

<p>I agree that if one or other MUST sit in the truck, it should be the man. Like the mirror shot idea too. That one would be decent. I would try to be positioned at a slight angle to the trucks front end (perhaps 5' from its corner) and looking to the back. Then use WA for the initial approach of the bride (get them both and the truck in one shot… low angle perhaps?), and then a normal FL (50?) to capture a more compressed look/reaction as he sees her. </p>

<p>Anothe idea might be to be on the opposite side of the truck and have her approach the passenger side as you stand behind her (ish) and get the shot of him through the open passenger (door?) window as he sees her. That way, you might be able to have a shot with both of them, her full dress from the back, his reaction and the truck. Depending on reflections etc., you could be at an angle that would allow you to see him through the front window. ?? Just some ideas.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Nadie's idea is great! It'll be a show-stopper shot. Him in foreground looking in rear view mirror and her approaching from behind. Be sure to do a bit of pre-planning as to your position, focal length, f/stop and how far out to the side she has to be as she approaches. You can practice in your driveway.</p>

<p>If there is time, maybe you can have a bit more fun with the truck prop ... maybe mimic the scene in Frank Capa's classic "It Happened One NIght" where Claudette Clobert hikes her dress to show leg while hitch-hiking ... lots of possibilities with that great prop. Milk it if you can. </p>

<p><em>(I'm from Detroit, so any cool car I can high-jack for a shot I will : -) ... like this hot-rod that the owner let us use for a few minutes. Note the overlay wheel that has heart shaped lug-nuts : -) ... not my usual album spread at all, but both clients were car groupies and loved flash and chrome). </em></p>

<p>-Marc</p>

<p> </p><div>00ZyXD-439815584.jpg.e7d5152e3fa6b36956525bdce315ab31.jpg</div>

<p>Shoot the truck from the back so you see the groom's face in the side mirror along with the bride's image. Have the brake lights on and dust flying up. Basically the guy sees the girl and slams on his brakes. Would be tough to stage and not truley a "First Look", but would tell the story well. You may have to composite in the bride or shoot her from behind; after all isn't this about his expression, not how she looks?</p>

<p>Didnt get my edit done in time. Marc, I like the way you think. It's meant to be printed in a 20x30 and bride is tack sharp in the full res and she nailed the expression, flirtateous but coy. We had some discussion in the past here about the 7 foot parabolic. Here its specular, medium/hard shadow edge transfer and resulting spot light was exactly what I envisioned along with higher ratio. Warmer, softer lower ratio from white beauty dish on plane to bring in eye at upper left and let all 15 leading lines take to bride. Its warmer to come forward and the parabolic cooler to receed for added depth from foreground plane to midground bride and to make her cool and bright so she really pops from the warmth of the image. Couldnt see my modeling lights because of the sunlight so dialing in the rembrandt was a challenge.</p>

<p>Nice shot Bob! Excellent use of isolated light, color temp and forced perspective to control the viewer experience!</p>

<p>I like shooting for large prints also ... try to get at least one or two per wedding and plan them out in advance so I can pull them off with-in the tighter time-line of a wedding.</p>

<p>Big props are especially fun. </p>