First Digital Images From M Lenses !!!!!

fotografz

I got to wondering, so I used black gaffers' tape to mount a couple of M lenses on a

Canon 10D. The mirror box allows the lens to snug right in and avoid the mirror itself.

WOW !!!!!

The best Macro shots I've taken outside of my Contax 120/4 mounted to a 645.

Incredibly sharp, crisp images with wonderful color and tonal rendering.

Used a 50 Lux and then a 90AA. The 90 allows you to get further away. Next I'll try

the 135/3.5.

Okay, who is an engineer here? We need a simple adapter to do this and those with a

digital camera will have the best macros they've ever used on a digital camera. Lutz,

you there? Something you can get done?<div>006xbx-15975184.jpg.b1399fadbf929b7a32e53d7eb64f524b.jpg</div>

Marc,

Your images are outstanding, I am very impressed by your achievement!

I have a friend in Italy (he's almost 85!) who will certainly be able to make the adapter you need. Unfortunately I don't have a Canon 10D...maybe if I can get my hands on a cheap analog camera with the same mount I might achieve something.

I'll let the forum know.

Any Visoflex lens should be easy to use this way, with infinty focus to boot! 65/3.5 Elmar, 90/4 Elmar, 90/2.8 Elmarit, 90/2 Summicron, 135/4.5 Hektor, 135/4 Elmar and Tele-Elmar, 135/2.8 Elmarit, all with the correct "short mount", 180/2.8 Elmarit, any of the Telyt M's, will give you infinity focus if you can get an adapter made. But how many people these days will put up with a manual diaphragm? Only the 65 Elmar and one model of the 90 Summicron come with even a preset diaphragm, until you get to the 180 to 560mm range.

Marc, Marc, Marc... I have it on good authority from <I>real</I> photographers here

that digital produces sterile, antiseptic, and pretty much lifeless images. And you still

have to learn that stoopid photoshop thing. Breeding film lenses with 1s and 0s -

trust me, you don't want any flipper images... Stop, before it's too late - you are

messing with the Devil's work.

www.citysnaps.net

Now this is thinking outside the box. Literally! It's this kind of creative thinking, that will bring results. A couple of the noted obstacles has been the limited size of CMOS or CCD imaging arrays and the angle which light rays would strike the imaging surface. Who says a digital camera that can use M mount lenses needs to be conventional design?

The EOS 1-Ds has an imaging surface of 35.8 mm x 23.8 mm, while the EOS 1-D has an imaging surface of 28.7 x 19.1 mm, the EOS 1-D and Rebel have an imaging surface of 22.7 mm x 15.1 mm. So, somewhere here is a practical size that would optimimally utilize the image created by M mount lenses. With this in mind how many of us care if the image has an aspect ratio of 2:3 or 1:1.

I suggest, go ahead and make it square if that gives us the most coverage for our M lenses.

This thread reminds me of how I used to hand-reverse the 50mm lens on my old Practika without any means of attaching it to the camera. Has anyone tried reversing these lenses on the Canon yet? Also, it is just possible that there might be a reversal ring already 'out there' which might fit.

Just one more 'cause it's so pretty...

Travis, you just look through the viewfinder of the Canon 10D. There isn't any auto

aperture, so you open up the aperture to focus on the area you want and then stop

down to the shooting aperture you want before triggering the 10D.

I know it is just macro use, but these are better than my Canon macro can do. Almost

no color fringing when you super enlarge the image (which I can see with the Canon

100/2.8II Macro images).<div>006xfz-15977084.jpg.7ada7c99d78355858ab3f12b0d4e1cf5.jpg</div>