First bridal show question

missy_kay

<p>I've never done a bridal show before (not even sure if I'm good enough yet for one), and I contacted an expo company for a show in late march. They told me the show was $600 but they have cancellations for NEXT WEEK for only $200. My question is, is it possible to purchase all the stuff I need in less than 5 days? It only includes a table, there are no curtains. Would you take this sort of thing on and order everything overnight? Is Staples a feasable option? What do I need to fill up the table? The only thing I have is business cards. Thanks so much!</p>

<p>I personally think it would be better to skip this one, and look polished at the next one. If you rush it and show up at the show looking less than your best, not only will you feel down about the experience you will also lose business to others. And even if your pictures are amazing, if you look "thrown together" it will reflect badly on you and the clients may remember you based on the fact you had a bleak display, etc. Planning, charisma, and polished execution do matter at these events just as much as a nicely done website.</p>

<p>Dawn and David, and now Daniel, all agree. Move from this one BUT go to it and see what others are doing and what looks like it works.</p>

<p>My first show, I had to put my display together in 15 minutes, get dressed and try to answer the myriad of questions.</p>

<p>Now my advice to what you should do when you get there.<br>

First, accept you can't possibly meet, much less sign up, every potential client that is there.<br>

Rather, you should talk to them, no matter what you show or bring, if your show is like the ones here, they are very top loaded with photographers. What will set Missy Kay apart is Missy Kay, there's only one, and I promise you, if you can connect who you are with potential clients in about 10 minutes, well there's a 10 minute interview, 10 minutes to get to know how a client got engaged, 10 minutes to show that you are going to be calm, cool, and in control of the moment because you have new ideas right there in front of them. They will remember none of the albums, after the first 50 they all look alike, they won't look through the business cards and handouts anytime soon, and after all, to most, they are all starting to look alike. They may remember someone who didn't look like they were ready though, which you will remember if you go and check out the people there. They will remember someone who didn't rush them along, who didn't just hand a card and a price list and look down the line at the next person.<br>

<br /> I do very very well with bridal shows, and consistently what I get is the remark that they liked that I took the time to talk to them, not rush them, I made them laugh, I got them to talk. I try to use that to pre-qualify my clients. If they will communicate with me in such a mad rush, then its a sure bet they will before their wedding, and great pictures, and future referrals come from that.</p>

<p>What they remember is that Missy Kay took the time to make them feel special when they were surrounded with people who, each deserving special treatment true, can't possibly be able to get everything from everyone. Nope, only you can control your space, and only you can show them that they want to hire you.</p>

<p>One other thing, keep in mind that it is only a technicality that says other photographers are your competition. If they do a great job, then more potential clients find out that great jobs are given by private contractors, Nobody at a bridal show is paying $6-800 to be a $500 photographer.<br>

So, talk to them, look at their work, if you like them, and you're booked on a certain day, send clients their way. It's a good thing to be respected by your colleagues and peers, and sending on business is a great way to show that.<br>

Go and check it out!<br>

Best,<br>

Daniel</p>

<p>Actually, I'd have to disagree with all the above, do it. Do it, Do it now. Are you a wedding photog or not? Do you <em>WANT</em> to be one now, or next year? If you can't or are unwilling to perform and perform stunningly under pressure, you don't have any business in this business. Consider this a test.</p>

<p>Staples does offer printing (at a high cost) next day, or day after next. Sometimes some of it actual turns out half decent. But you don't need a huge crazy cool or even a well refined booth. Even if all you have is your table with some albums, and a full size background, plus some basic decor, you'll be fine. Decor wise, I'm sure everything you need you can find at Target or walmart for a couple c-notes, and in this case it's probably better to NOT stand out. Because there is no way you're gonna compete with the experienced bridal show pros your first time out...</p>

<p>Here's the logic: If they don't remember you, then when you follow up w/ an email, they'll go to your website, look at a polished refined looking site, find your prices are very reasonable and maybe contact you... At the last several shows I attended, I invariably met brides/ brides representatives (at least a few) who didn't even want to walk into the booth, but politely refused, taking a card, saying that they ONLY wanted to look over my work online... or were looking for a friend. I would probably not believe it, thinking they were just blowing me off, If several of my bookings hadn't come from some of those very same people. In today's environment, an online portfolio that pops is far far more important than a bridal show booth that pops.</p>

<p>Good luck, cause you're gonna need it! :-) And remember (as daniel pointed out), only Missy Kay is <em>SELLING</em> Missy Kay, and if you're in for a dime, youre in for a dollar!</p>