First 4x5 field camera

robert_ruderman1

Hi,

<p>

I am contemplating my first 4x5 field camera. After reviewing the field of wooden field cameras, I have narrowed down my choices to a Wista DX (with shift) and a Wisner Expedition. Ignoring the significant cost difference between the two models, what are people's general opinions regarding what would be a better model that one could "grow into"? My general application is landscape photography and a little portrait work. I'd like to be able to mount a lens as wide as 75mm on the 4x5. When I pose this question to a dealer in my area, I can never get the same answer twice (i.e. one pushes Toyo; another Wista; and a third Wisner).

<p>

Thanks in advance for your time.

Robert

No comparison at all between Wisner and the Wista. Buy the Wisner and never look back.

But in a decision among equals, look at the Canham metal camera that just came out. It will give you an option in the same basic price and quality range. Both are excellent. Right up there with Linhof Technicas, but both have more bellows draw than the Linhof. With either you won't go wrong and will have a camera your grandchildren will be able to use long after you are gone. You do get what you pay for and with both the Wisner & Canham you get quality that will last long after the energizer bunny poop out.