Firmware updates for AF-P compatibility

Dieter Schaefer

If you have any of the following cameras: D4, D4S, Df, D800, D800E, D810, D810A, D7100, and D7200, check for new firmware updates that finally deal with (hopefully all) the shortcomings when using AF-P lenses on those bodies.

D4 A1.11 B1.11 Nikon | Download center | D4 Firmware

D4S C1.33 Nikon | Download center | D4S Firmware

Df C1.02 Nikon | Download center | Df Firmware

D800 A1.11 B1.11 Nikon | Download center | D800 Firmware

D800E A1.11 B1.11 Nikon | Download center | D800E Firmware

D810 C1.13 Nikon | Download center | D810 Firmware

D810A C1.03 Nikon | Download center | D810A Firmware

D7100 C1.04 Nikon | Download center | D7100 Firmware

D7200 C1.03http://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/download/fw/266.html

Thanks for the info. Nikon claimed the D810 etc. would always have limitations in AF-P support even after future firmware updates, I wonder what the remaining limitations are, if any. Also in Finland the Nikon 70-300 AF-P (FX) product web page says it doesn't support the D4 and D800 series, among others. But now the D800 and D4 seem to support AF-P lenses according to the info in the firmware update. So what's the story? Did they at first not think of how to make the AF-P lenses fully supported in older cameras and felt it was fine to release such lenses anyway, but later figured out how to fix those problems in older cameras (not really old, but 2012 relased and newer). In the Nikon Imaging global web pages I can't find any mention of incompatibilities with bodies and AF-P lenses at least not on the 70-300 E AF-P page. Nikon really needs to specify clearly what the remaining limitations are, and which cameras cannot be supported at the present time.

If someone can verify correct functioning of AF-P lenses with the updated cameras it would be appreciated.

Edit: I found this page:

https://www.nikonimgsupport.com/eu/BV_article?articleNo=000035705&configured=1&lang=en_GB

it seems that the remaining main limitation is that with D4, D4S, D3, D3X, D3S, D810A, D810, D800, D800E, Df, D700, D7200, D7100, D7000, D5200, D300, D300S, "Cameras do not offer the "Manual focus ring in AF mode" Custom Setting for enabling/disabling focus ring operation in autofocus mode. " Also those in this list which were not subject to the latest firmware update, are likely to have the standby focus reset issue.

Wow, now it seems that also 2007 and newer cameras are mostly compatible. On the Finnish Nikon page the D3 series is stated to be incompatible but now in the Nikon Imaging worldwide page these are listed as compatible (restrictions apply).

Edited by ilkka_nissila

it seems that the remaining main limitation is that with D4, D4S, D3, D3X, D3S, D810A, D810, D800, D800E, Df, D700, D7200, D7100, D7000, D5200, D300, D300S, "Cameras do not offer the "Manual focus ring in AF mode" Custom Setting for enabling/disabling focus ring operation in autofocus mode. "

It also appears that there is still no way to turn off VR in the DX lenses (the FX 70-300 has a switch). It appears the only thing the firmware update actually accomplished was getting rid of the "doesn't retain focus position once camera enters standby mode" (and that wasn't even fixed for all cameras (as Ilkka already pointed out).

I am vaguely interested in the FX 70-300 - even though there apparently still are limitations when used on a D810. At least the D500 seems to have no restrictions associated with the use of either DX or FX AF-P lenses.

I did the upgrade for the D7100 because it also supposedly fixes a minor error with E lenses and Live View, which I don't think I've ever used, but might. But now I'm curious about the manual focus ring. I am presuming that the default is that it is enabled and one simply cannot disable it. Or do I have it backwards?

I have yet to try one of these lenses, but had thought a bit about the 10-20 for traveling. But there's a limit to the degree of incompatibility I'll settle for.

I am presuming that the default is that it is enabled and one simply cannot disable it.

I believe you are correct - the Nikon site linked to above states this specifically for the D5300 and D3300 that do not include this option in the current firmware upgrade. I know that VR is always on when an AF-P DX lens is mounted on a D7200 (and there's no option to turn it off).

Nikon's "lens compatibility" over the years has come with a lot of "footnotes" but it took the introduction of AF-P to make it a real mess. Even with Nikon finally addressing some issue with firmware updates, there are still issues remaining.

Honestly, who is running the show over there?? I've never understood the point of making lenses that are not backward compatible with pretty much everything. We could even convert existing glass to AI if we wanted to. I never understood the point behind the G series and the only reason I have one is that it came with a D4 I bought. Otherwise I only have two older lenses that won't work with every body I have, film or digital. I see no good reason at all to buy lenses that don't work with any digital body going back to the D200 or 300 era. Having to update firmware just to get the thing to work is folly. OK, rant off.

Rick H.

I believe you are correct - the Nikon site linked to above states this specifically for the D5300 and D3300 that do not include this option in the current firmware upgrade. I know that VR is always on when an AF-P DX lens is mounted on a D7200 (and there's no option to turn it off).

Nikon's "lens compatibility" over the years has come with a lot of "footnotes" but it took the introduction of AF-P to make it a real mess. Even with Nikon finally addressing some issue with firmware updates, there are still issues remaining.

This also means that you cannot buy a new nikon prouced 70-300 lens anymore for those camera's if you want to be able to switch VR off ...

The senior team was perhaps retired when they let people go. ;)

Anyway it seems to happen periodically that Nikon introduce something which violently breaks compatibility and expectations of long term Nikon users. I guess they test the waters to see what they can get away with. In this case the violation was so outrageous that they must have heard the word on the street (and sales plummet) so they fixed it in post, mostly. Quite a lot of the stuff Nikon introduced in 2016 needed a lot of patching up.

Personally I want to see precise aperture and focusing in focus shift shooting in new Micro-Nikkors. So E type and AF-P or new AF-S with greater precision and reproducibility. I hope Nikon give out patches to D3 series models as well to fix the standby focus reset problem with AF-P. I don’t buy lenses that are not fully compatible with all my camera bodies. So if I do buy an AF-P lens then I have to retire my oldest camera. Or Nikon could just fix it in a firmware update and if possible, issue a public apology.

It also appears that there is still no way to turn off VR in the DX lenses (the FX 70-300 has a switch). It appears the only thing the firmware update actually accomplished was getting rid of the "doesn't retain focus position once camera enters standby mode" (and that wasn't even fixed for all cameras (as Ilkka already pointed out).

I am vaguely interested in the FX 70-300 - even though there apparently still are limitations when used on a D810. At least the D500 seems to have no restrictions associated with the use of either DX or FX AF-P lenses.

Dieter, have you shot the DX 70-300 on the D7200 since the FW update? If so, what can you offer about it?

I have not as I no longer own a D7200 and never owned a DX 70-300. My experience comes from purchasing a set for a friend - I can get in touch, update the firmware, and report back.

I'd be interested in comments about that lens body combo before and after the FW update, if you can post any.

Today there is new distortion control data and d500 firmware update available. Went with the distortion control data update and all seems well.

I have updated camera firmware only few times, but in my experience cameras retain custom settings despite firmware update. The settings are these times so numerous that I have written them down for each camera.

Today there is new distortion control data and d500 firmware update available. Went with the distortion control data update and all seems well.

I have updated camera firmware only few times, but in my experience cameras retain custom settings despite firmware update. The settings are these times so numerous that I have written them down for each camera.

I'm beginning to think the distortion control is a waste of time. I'm going to shut it off on all my cameras and let DXO handle it.

I'm beginning to think the distortion control is a waste of time. I'm going to shut it off on all my cameras and let DXO handle it.

? Distortion control only affects JPEGs, not raw. And I'm assuming you're processing raw files (not JPEGs) with DxO? I mean, it can process JPEGs, but...