Firmware updated A7RIII

Mark Keefer

This week seemed to be firmware update week. I updated the BIOS on my computer and my camera firmware.

The A7RIII still had v1.01 and I updated it tonight to version 2.0. It seems to be very stable working with the Metabones V and Canon and Sigma 85mm Art lenses. The touch screen focus seems to be working. Too early to give a full review but it seems pretty stable.

First time ever updating firmware on this Camera, I have done other Canon cameras before. Following the directions, remove memory cards, put camera in USB Mass Storage Mode, hook up camera to computer with original USB cable. It took about 5 minutes and went off without a hitch. Knock on wood. :)

So tonight I decided to do some low light testing with Pixel Shift using a couple similar sharp lenses. I was comparing the Canon 17-40mm f/4 L and the Canon 40mm f/2.8 Prime. I was using ISO 160, and between f/10-f/16 and 3-6 second exposures. I ran the shots through the Image Viewer creating Pixel Shift Tiffs, then imported to Lightroom for some final tweaks and cropping. Here are the images, clicking on them will take you to a 5000 pixel wide image, yes I reduced it a bit. But I am pretty pleased with the results.

17-40mm

18507410-orig.jpg

40mm Prime

18507412-orig.jpg

Cheers, Mark

Wow! Quite an improvement and the perfect subject for doing that.

I bought the FE 400mm f/2.8 GM OSS, so I had to update the firmware on both my a7RIII and a9 to get full functionality with the lens. I hadn't really considered the other benefits. Thanks for the report.