Hello:

I use a Polaroid SprintScan 120 connected to a Windows 10 computer with a PCIe 1394 card (VIA chipset). It worked fine for a while; now, I have to unplug and replug the FW cable with the scanner turned off in order for the computer to recognize the scanner. After I do this, I can use the scanner all day, so long as I do not turn it off. If I do turn it off, I have to repeat the unplug/replug cycle. I have the correct driver for the FW card, and am using the Vuescan driver for the scanner. All these drivers show up correctly in Device Manager/Properties/Driver.

I have several suspects for this behavior. A Win 10 update. The scanner, as I said, worked fine with the existing card and drivers until it stopped doing so. I have also thought of swapping out the FW card for one with a different chipset. Same with the cable, although I doubt it is the problem, since it wouldn't cause the device to lose contact.

If anyone who knows more about 1394 than I do (doesn't take much) has a bright idea, I would appreciate it.

Les

My first suspect would be a Windows update.

Windows keeps a log of all updates and configuration changes, but finding and deciphering them might take longer than just going through the on/off-unplug/plug routine a few times.

I know there was a recent fix for a USB 3.0 issue that entirely disabled a USB 3.0 controller if just one connected device reported a self-fault. MS's programmers are a law unto themselves!