Firefox users--can you post photos to forum threads?

Leslie Reid

@dieter - it looks like you posted these from from gallery. Please try posting an image directly from a folder on your computer. 10+ year member here who is very frustrated, as I can't seem to post an image to a forum thread from my computer. Can post from gallery, and from Flickr, but not from computer. Running Visa Home Premium and latest Firefox.

Here's what I get when I try to upload a file: SEE BELOW

t looks like you posted these from from gallery.

first one from gallery, second one was upload from my computer. Uploading another one from my computer now.

234173724_2017-02-15-00138_DxO-1copy.thumb.jpg.d1353d1f9345419054bd6a42346a686c.jpg

No problem again. How big is your file? The above is 1600 pixels wide on upload and just shy of 1MB; I assume that it's reduced in size on the fly by PN though. And indeed it is: scaled to 979px × 653px. I don't currently know what the size limit for upload is, so I will attempt to upload an non-reduced original next.

2048 pixels<br><br>

gives an error too<br><br>

1600 pixels again, just to make sure<br><br>

Nope, no luck this time. Image was 1.62MB though.<br><br>

Again, 1600, 1.29MB<br><br>

Nope.<br><br>

1600, under 1MB.<br><br>

Nope again. So now color me confused.<br><br>

Same image as the one posted in the above thread.<br><br>

Nope.

<br><br>

Reloading page, overriding cache, same image that failed to upload just above.<br><br>

1945394814_2017-02-02-D71-25724-1copy.thumb.jpg.9559b9f42b527e2fc28432916748f1fe.jpg

Appears there is an issue with the cache when using firefox. Clearing it before upload makes things run smooth. Would help to know what the actual upload restrictions are. I was able to upload two images of 1600 pixels above without issues, one smaller and one larger than 1MB. I would expect that there is a restriction on both, number of pixels and overall size of image in MB.<br><br>

Things started to fail when I attempted a full size image. After that, nothing worked until I cleared the browser cache. Then even a 2048 image uploaded without problem. But a 1600 pixel one immediately after failed, but uploaded without a problem when I cleared the browser cache beforehand.

Edited by Dieter Schaefer

1600 pixels, larger than 1MB; browser cache not cleared<br><br>

upload failed <br><br>

clear cache, try again<br><br>

703659328_2017-01-29-D5A-13808-1copy.thumb.jpg.ba4a1f1797754da35b0f453b3e6487af.jpg

works,<br><br>

no clearing of cache, another 1600 pixel, larger than 1MB image.<br><br>

Nope. <br><br>

clearing cache, upload again.<br><br>

496081805_2017-01-29-D5A-13766-1copy.thumb.jpg.0b701bacce682ca2ea0388a5ffc30f8d.jpg

Clearly a cache issue with firefox, though I can't quite figure out what image size (in MB) seems to trigger it. <br><br>Does anyone know the image upload limits here at PN? May not be the issue though as Google Chrome does not seem to have the same issues firefox has. And we already know that chrome and firefox work differently here on PN (the "Write your reply... is an issue with chrome, not with firefox).

Thanks, Dieter, for all your efforts. The images I try to upload from my computer are well within the size limit - 700 pixels on long side, no more than 300KB in size. They were all images I successfully uploaded via the old software. Based on your experience will try clearing the FF cache and see what that does. Again, I'm using FF 51.0.1 on a PC laptop running Vista Home Premium.

Well, they didn't seem to have let anywhere as your problem persists. How did you clear the cache? I simply reloaded the page with the CTRL-key depressed.

I went to the FF tools menu, then options, then advanced. You can set how much memory to use for the cache, and also clear it there. Maybe next I'll try your way to see if it makes any difference.

• 4 months later...
I use XP Pro SP3 on a slow computer and have not experienced any problems posting directly to the No Words forum. I do recall that when Vista was released there was mountain of complaints. MS soon released Win7 perhaps to placate those with Vista problems. I see no mention of Vista in the above discussion. How many users successfully download from Vista through Firefox?