Fingerprint on mirror, what to do?

jonathan_lui

<p>I have a fingerprint on my mirror, it's small like the tip of a pinky. I know the mirror is very delicate and therefore it's not advised to touch it any more than necessary. However, even though I can't see it through the viewfinder, I'm OCD about the fingerprint.<br>

I'm concerned that the oils from the print will eventually etch into the mirror, the way that fingerprint oils etch into metals. What is the best, safest way to clean the mirror?</p>

<p>-- "What is the best, safest way to clean the mirror?"</p>

<p>Don't. Just live with it. Since marks on the mirrror do not (never) show up on the final image, it's simply not worth it. The chances are high, that any attempt to clean the mirror makes it worse than it is now.</p>

<p>It's not like I intended to touch it... and I'm not asking if someone knew how to DIY the cleaning, I'm asking for the safest way.<br>

I know it's not worth the risk of doing it myself. That's why I'm also wondering if there are long-term effects from the finger-oils.<br>

Does the Canon service center clean mirrors as well?</p>

<p>The reflex mirror is a first surface mirror, so the reflective material is an ultra thin layer of metal on the surface of the mirror. If it really bothers you, gently clean it with micro fiber optical cloth over a q-tip. The worse that can happen is you'll scratch it if your cloth isn't clean. I've cleaned many in my reflector telescopes and a few in SLRs without problems. </p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>A couple years ago I was given a film camera that had finger smears on the reflex mirror. I successfully removed these smears without any further damage to the mirror by the following method. <br>

1. Use a blower to remove any dust from the mirror.<br>

2. Soak a Kodak lens cleaning tissue in ethanol. (Be sure that the ethanol used does not contain any oils such as may be present in "Rubbing Alcohol".<br>

3. Carefully drop a layer of this tissue onto the mirror covering the finger smear.<br>

4. Slowly drag the tissue off the mirror. The only pressure on the mirror will be the weight of the wet tissue and the surface tension of the alcohol soaked tissue across the mirror surface.<br>

5. Repeat as necessary using a fresh ethanol soaked tissue to completely remove the smear.<br>

I found that my mirror was cleaned by 3 applications. </p>

<p>Puppy Face suggests using micro fiber cloth _over_ a q-tip which has worked for him. BUT, do not use a q-tip directly on the mirror. Beside the risk of scratching the mirror surface, some strands of cotton from the q-tip may become tangled in the mirror mount to cause further frustrations.</p>

<p>Why would I clean my mirror myself and not send it to Canon for service? Because the lens I sent to Canon for a failed IS unit was returned with oily finger smears on the front and rear elements and the inertior of the lens had dust that was not there when shipped to them.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I have cleaned the mirrors on every SLR camera I've owned and never had a problem.<br>

I always blow off the big chunks (never with compressed air!) and use either a micro-fiber cloth or a lens pen.<br>

It's all about being gentle and using good common sense...<br>

(Boy do I get the repairman's finger print story...sent off a T90 for repair and looked at a print under the top glass for years!)</p>

<p>thanks for all the suggestions guys<br>

I must admit, when I posted the question, I've basically already decided to clean it. But, having read/heard of stories of people damaging the mirror, I decided to see if anyone has tried it and survived.<br>

Most of the horror stories I've seen though are people who did not Google first before wiping the mirror with a powerful solvent, so I guess that's where the "end of civilization prophecies" come from.<br>

Rainer & Dan, don't think I'm disregarding your advice, I'll keep it in mind, and be very careful :D</p>

<p>I have a brilliant lens cleaning cloth called a 'Spud' The material is soft and silky and can be used as a grey card too...I've used one to clean DSLR mirrors many times , just be gentle and don't go berserk...much the same as cleaning the sensor. Many think if you touch the sensor at all, Aunt Mildred will immediately croak it...truth is that a sensor (actually the IR filter) is quite tough, probably just like Mildred.</p>