FinePix Pro RAW Processing

I still use my S5 Pro quite a bit. It's mostly a studio camera for me, but I love the dynamic range and colors I get from it.

I mostly shoot JPEGs from it, as I've found that I can't get the same results from RAW. Lightroom(6 or 4 depending on the computer I'm using) is my primary PP processing, and I've gotten pretty adept at working with NEFs from it.

Lightroom will open and allow me to manipulate RAWs from any of the Fuji DSLRs, but I seem to not be able to take full advantage of the R-pixel data-something that of course is a big part of the "magic" that gives the Fuji cameras such amazing DR.

I bought my S5 used, and didn't get any software with it. The only Fuji software I have is for the S1, and of course it won't handle S5 files.

Looking around, it seems as though there was a paid Fuji software for RAW processing, as well as a "free" one that came with the camera. Does anyone know what this is and if the paid version is worth tracking down?

Additionally, does anyone know if there's a good way to actually process these files to their full capabilities in LR or even Aperture(I know Aperture is not supported, and I don't know it well, but I have it).

I'd appreciate any advice on this-or if the answer is to just keep shooting JPEGs.

I could never work out Fuji's rationale of having small photosites dotted among larger ones. Surely the small photosites would simply saturate before the larger ones, or vice versa? And once you have one set of photosites saturated, isn't it game over anyway?

I mean, how would you possibly detect which photosites had saturated, and effectively add headroom to them?

My first digital camera was a quite expensive Fuji with a claimed 4 megapixels (wow!) - which turned out to really be a miserable 2 megapixels that Fuji had interpolated before outputting the file. I felt lied to and utterly cheated by Fuji, and haven't believed a word about their weird and wonderful sensor configurations since. Also, that camera's zoom lens had the worst geometric distortion I have ever seen!

The mixed big and little photosite bumph they put out about the S5 just seemed like another load of Fuji hyperbole to me.

Edited by rodeo_joe|1

Thanks, Joe, as always for the OVERLY helpful negativity and not actually answering the question...

The JPEGs show me that the R pixels actually work...and I was asking for help on processing, not your review/opinion on the technology...

I am genuinely curious how Fuji could make their S and R pixel system work. Unless the sensor output two completely separate images that were somehow layered together.

In the same way that I'm curious how the claimed X-trans geometry supposedly delivers better colour with fewer R and B photosites.

You could try the UF-RAW plugin for GIMP that has many configuration options for how it handles raw files. Or there may be an old version of Capture One that can deal with the S5.