Finder replacement for older M bodies

Anyone ever had their older M's finder replaced? I like using my 28mm on the M4 but don't

want to use an external finder so am thinking about replacing the M4 finder with a current .

58x. finder. Of course it would be easier to just buy a .58x MP but I was hoping the

procedure would not be as expensive and I do like the M4.

Hey Raymond -

I have both an M4 and M6/M7 cameras with the 28mm framelines.

First off you should know that along with the M3 and M2, the M4 is considered to have the

best and most accurately framing finder of any M camera ever made for the 35/50/90/135

combo. It would be a real shame to replace the original frameline mask, with that of a M6/

MP/M7. Just the thought gives me nightmares and you would substantially reduce the

value of the camera. People buy M4's because of the finder. ;-)

Second you really don't need to replace the frame mask to use the 28mm. On the .72 M6/

M7/MP the 28mm framelines are so far at the edges of the finder that you can barely see

them anyway. They might as well not be there.

Before the advent of the M4-P photographers would simply use the entire viewfinder for

the 28mm focal lenght, which gives very accurate results. Probably more accurate than

the brightline finder.

Garry Winogrand, shot all of his street photography with a 28mm on an M4. You can see

his camera here:

http://www.cameraquest.com/LeicaM4G.htm

I've done it myself and it works like a charm. When I use a 28 on an M camera I just ignore

the 28 framelines, even if they are there. You just frame through that big, beautiful

window.

But if it really bothers you, I would sell the M4 and get a more recent M6/MP etc. Besides,

the cost of the conversion would probably exceed the difference between selling the M4

and getting a newer used camera.

Feli

Thanks everyone for your helpful responses. I wear glasses and can barely see the 35mm

framelines on a .72x finder. I asked DAG and he said that Leica will only replace a finder

when you send the original in and will not switch magnifications. I guess I either get used

to an external finder else sell off a .72x body for an MP .58x. Thanks again.