Finally the EOS M3 comes to the USA

bobatkins

<p>Canon have decided to import the EOS M3 to the USA. It's been available via grey market importers for a while, but now it will be officially distributed and supported by Canon USA</p>

<p>Some might say too little, too late as far as mirrorless cameras go. Others will welcome a small EOS lens compatible (with adapter) body. $679.99 for the body. $799.99 with an EF-M 18-55 IS STM kit lens.</p>

<p>Also available are/will be</p>

<ul>

<li>EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM wide-angle zoom lens for an estimated retail price of $399.99</li>

<li>EF-M 22mm f/2 STM compact prime lens in silver for an estimated retail price of $249.99</li>

<li>EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM telephoto zoom lens for an estimated retail price of $349.99</li>

</ul>

<p>See http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/about_canon?pageKeyCode=pressreldetail&docId=0901e02480fefb34</p>

<p>The EOS M3 is a great little bit of kit. It makes a super travel camera and the the lenses are not all bad.<br>

I had the EOS M before so I just I got the body and EVF kit from Japan. The EVF which makes a huge difference.<br>

I have all three M lenses and when I go on my travels, besides these lenses, I take my regular 85mm 1.8 lens plus adapter, which works really well.<br>

Focussing has improved and whilst it is being criticised, mainly by people who just read the specs, the M3 is a superb addition to Canon's lineup.<br>

Tim</p>

<p>Recently my camera bag was stolen and unfortunately my eos-m with it. I'd decided not to replace it since, at the time, Canon wasn't selling the M cameras in the US. This is welcome news since I really liked my M but I'm still concerned about price point compared to other milc offerings, and one or two nits I had with the M anyway. This wrinkle makes my quest to replace my carry-everywhere camera more difficult, but choice is always a good thing! </p>

<p>I think my major concern with the M-series EOS line is Canon's half-hearted approach to MILCs. They launched the M in the US, then not the M2 or M3, then they change their mind about the M3. As a stand-alone, one time buy with no expectations the M3 looks like a decent camera for anyone who wants to use existing EF/EF-S lenses (via an adapter) on a MILC body. I'm not so sure I'd buy into it as the basis for a MILC system for the future though. For that I'd be a lot more confident of the longevity of the system with Sony or Olympus, and they both make excellent cameras and lenses. I just don't get the impression that Canon is committed to the EOS-M system and putting their best efforts into developing it. I could be wrong, but if so it's partly Canon's fault!</p>

<p>I got an M model last year, from a promotion on Canon Canada's mailing list for refurbished models. At $279.00 I thought I was getting quite a bargain. It is indeed a nice camera, and I got a aftermarket EOS and FD adapters on eBay. It hasn't actually been used much at all, slow to focus in low light using the LCD, and with either of the adapters it can be fairly heavy. The lack of much of a grip on the camera meant most of the weight is on a small area on the right side of the camera. I did get an aluminum auxiliary grip that makes holding it better, but it too adds weight to such a small camera. So it will probably sit in its bag not being used most of the time.</p>

<p>The M3 does sound a lot better, but is way beyond what I ever would pay for one. <br>

</p>

<p>You can get the grey market version from multiple sources for about $375-$400 on eBay. The Canon USA list of $680 is a bit steep given the competition available and I doubt it will sell at list price for long. I've seen it (grey market version) listed as low as $350 from dealers I've never heard of.</p>

<p>Of course you can pick up an SL1 for the same price (or less). The M3 only really makes sense if used with one of the 4 fairly modest consumer EF-M lenses. Once you add an adapter and an EF series lens, you're not gaining much from the smaller body of the M3. It does give you a route to using older FD lenses, but so do mirrorless cameras from Sony and Olympus - and they have image stabilization in the body while the M3 doesn't.</p>

<p>Whilst I appreciate (and respect)Bob Atkins view, I have found that the M3 coupled with the 22mm f2 lens, makes a super set up for street photography. It doesn't draw attention either. The M3 body plus EVF cost UK £350 direct from Japan. The lenses and adaptor can be picked up fairly cheaply.</p>