Finally pulled the trigger on a Z body

mark45831

So after back and forth for some time now I found a real good deal on a used Z7 24-70 f4, Ftz and 120gb Sony card for less than a new Z6 with kit lens so I could not pass it up, menu button keeps messing me up and I keep moving my focus points hitting the joystick but I am liking it a lot, used my Zeiss 85mm 1.4 with peaking and now I am in heaven, so nice with my eye's not as good as they were, makes it so much easier.
  • Like 3

I only have a Z6, but I am sure the Z7 is great. The first generation Z bodies are two years old. New models are pretty much expected so that the old models are cheaper now, but they are still fine cameras.

I think any of the newer stuff is going to be well out of my range.

Mark, again, congratulations on your Z7. I am sure it is a good deal. That shutter count is awfully low.

Earlier this year, perhaps it was a pricing error on Amazon's part, they had what Mark just bought, but new, for $2846.90. That deal was around for like 3, 4 days, and a bunch of people took advantage of it. As far as I know, they received new, Nikon USA Z7 kits.

Nikon Z7 + 24-70/4 S + FTZ = $2846.90 @ Amzon

At this point, any successor to the Z7 will probably go back to $3400 for the body only, at least initially.

Just saw that kit being offered new for under $3100 - some $900 below the introductory price some two years ago. I don't think D850 prices have dropped as much

Right, Nikon introduced the Z7 two years ago ag $3400 initially, and the 24-70mm/f4 S kit lens was an additional $600. Nikon has been discounting the Z7 by $600. It looks like they have just knocked another $100 off it.

Again, it should be a lot cheaper to manufacture a Z7 than a D850 since there is no mirror, and I understand Nikon Z manufacturing involves a lot more robotics, further reducing the cost. Meanwhile, the D850 has also been discounted sometimes with a free vertical grip. Therefore it is hard to compare the deals.