Finally, a Nikon.

<p>For years I've avoided the ownership of a Nikon, other than a very haggard old F2 in the Parts Department. I've always suspected that if I started in on Nikons, it might be a case of adding more fuel to the addiction. Furthermore, I'm a Canon man, right? I've used Canons almost exclusively in my work for the past 40 years, and found no good reason to change. Anyway, with the winds of Autumn chilling our small town , I sidled into one of the antique shops to check out the stock, and the proprietor, (who knows me rather too well) said, "Bought a few old cameras yesterday, mostly old junk, but there's one that may interest you."</p>

<p>"What is it? I asked, in a guarded sort of way.</p>

<p>"It's an old Nikkormat" he said, "Looks a bit rough, but it's all there."<br /> <br /> "Peter"' I said, "You know I don't do Nikons." <br /> <br /> "It's cheap," he said persuasively. He trotted into the back room and emerged with a camera that he plonked down on the counter in front of me. I know enough about Nikkormats to recognise a FTN, and this one was filthy, coated in dust and the patina of disuse. Slightly dubiously I picked it up; it felt good, and under the grime it appeared to be surprisingly unmarked, a slight tracery of fungus behind the front element of the Nikkor lens being the only obvious flaw. The shutter was smooth, the mirror looked pristine, the aperture was snappy. I felt myself slipping..."I have some batteries in my kit in the car that might fire up the meter" I said.<br /> <br /> The meter seemed fine. " It's yours for thirty bucks," said Peter.</p>

<p>"Done", I heard myself saying.<br /> <br /> So, now I own a Nikon, and here it is.</p><div>00bZWf-533075584.jpg.9530068c063e3f6612465e040e160ffe.jpg</div>

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>It took an hour to clean the beast and it came up very well. I undertook the delicate task of removing the front element cluster and removing the fungus; it had left a faint tracery on the coating but nothing serious, I was surprised just how slight an object is the front element, very thin and fragile. I hope you Nikon fans can tell me a little more about the Nikkormat; we're into a seriously rainy spell for the next week, and I managed to shoot off only a few frames of B&W as the storm clouds gathered. And I have to admit that I'm delighted with the Nikkormat; it handles beautifully, feels as solid as a rock, and fits my hand like a glove. The 50mm Nikkor f/2 is beyond reproach. Can't wait for the sun to shine; do I sound like a Nikonite in the making? I might have to do a full post, a little further on.<br /> <br /> I attach just a few frames, Arista EDU 100, ID-11, scans from an Epson V700.</p><div>00bZWh-533075684.jpg.948b52efb75ccef73b297f11bd5d6cc3.jpg</div>

<p>What a fine looking camera. When I was in high school 35 years ago, my parents gave me your exact set up as a Christmas gift. I loved that camera.....wish I still had it. I just picked up a mint black F2 photomic. I think after seeing your pics, I may start to look for a Nikkormat FTN like yours. Enjoy it!</p>

<p>I love Nikon cameras (some), and the Nikkormats are something special. How could anyone not love the shutters in these? They have such a nice "snick" to them. They sure are heavy, but feel reassuringly solid. Nikon glass is not my favorite, but w/ today's adapters you have many more choices than in the past. Your camera has one of the best Nikon lenses ever made in my opinion. Much nicer than the newer 1.8 variants, which I found to have rough bokeh and too much contrast. Try some shots wide open and you will be very happy.</p>

<p>Rick--wow! GREAT find! That camera is in great shape. Still has the screen type sticker on the advance lever. Says to me it hasn't had much use. If the meter isn't "jumpy," it is a true bargain. You'll also love the 50/2--very underrated lens. I'm afraid you're hooked now.<br>

Thanks for posting.<br>

Paul</p>

<p>Congrats Rick. I too bought a Nikkormat under similar conditions about 10 years ago and was quite impressed. I prefer my Canon FTb but I compare the two quite favorably. While heavy, they both give the impression of quality and simplicity with all the functionality anyone would need. Both were bargains compared to their more sophisticated offerings.</p>
Dan Deary

<p>One just like that was my first Nikon SLR when I was eighteen (many years ago). I foolishly allowed my father to trade it in for a Nikon FG a couple of years later (which I still have) as I was seduced by the name Nikon on the front instead of merely Nikkormat.</p>

<p>I now have another Nikkormat FTN, inherited from my father.</p>

<p>Beautiful camera, Rick! Like you I'm a Canon man but have still owned quite a number of Nikons and have grown to have a few favorites, including this one. Like Paul indicated, I'm afraid that once you've started down this path you may be tempted to try a few more of them. While I absolutely love the F2, F3HP, and F100, I also really love the simple but elegantly smooth operation of the FE that my Dad gave me some years ago, and I have a feeling that you would too. Great pictures as always! Enjoy your new toy and I hope we get to see even more pictures from it.</p>

<p>Nikon cameras and Nikkor lenses are superb and for a long time they were the dominant choice of photojournalists. I never got into Nikons because:<br>

1. They were too expensive for my student budget;<br>

2. The Nikon owners I encountered were almost as arrogant and obnoxious as Leica owners;<br>

3. I thought the Photomic meters glommed onto Nikon bodies destroyed their elegant lines; and<br>

4. In 1970 I was able to buy a used Canon FT-QL for $150 and its performance was truly excellent.</p>

<p>Hello Q.G.--that little sticker on the advance lever usually indicated the type of screen installed. The "A" screen was the clear spot with the microprism; the "K" is the split prism. Here is a link to a pretty good site on Nikon:<br>

<a href="http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/nikkormat/">http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/nikkormat/</a><br>

It indicates that Nikkormats did not have interchangable screens; in that case--the "A" sticker may have just been window dressing. The new F2 and F3 that I had--many years ago--had the "K" sticker on the advance lever. BTW, Rick's camera is apparently a late model--1975. Nice!!<br>

Paul</p>

<p>I too as a teenager had a Nikkormat (FT2) with a 50 f/2 as my first<em> saved my pennies</em> "new in the box" camera. (Had a "K" sticker)</p>

<p>I usually saw the <strong>"K"</strong> sticker on top of the advance pan screws of these units coming in for repair.<br /> Here's an excerpt from a web page that may further help the "sticker" question.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"FTn also offered a choice (<strong>made at purchase time </strong>or by replacement at factory service centers) of brighter fixed viewfinder focusing screens: Nippon Kogaku's standard <strong>Type J</strong> with central 4 mm microprism focusing aid plus 12 mm etched circle indicating the area of the meter centerweighting or the <strong>Type A</strong> with central 3 mm split image rangefinder plus 12 mm etched circle. - The FT2's viewfinder also switched to Nippon Kogaku's new standard <strong>Type K</strong> focusing screen with 3 mm split image rangefinder and 1 mm microprism collar focusing aids plus 12 mm etched circle indicating the area of the meter centerweighting." <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikkormat"><em><strong>Wikipedia</strong></em></a></p>

</blockquote>

<p>As usual, great job Rick !<br /> I've stated many times that the Nikkor 50mm f/2, is a stunning performer at <strong>a bargain price...</strong></p>

<p>My older brother's first slr in the early to mid 70s was your camera. He traded up all the way to an F2 Titanium over the years, but after they were all gone and traded away, just a few years ago he bought another ftn on ebay for old times sake, and you can bet he paid more than you did. It is a great camera.<br>

On his lens reviews page, Bjorn Rorslett ranks the 50 f2 pre AI and AI amongst Nikon's best normal lenses.</p>

<p>Come on in - the Dark Side is lovely<br /> After decades of OM usership, I fell like a ton of bricks the first time I picked up an F3HP/MD4. Now, 4 Fs, 2 F2s, the F3HP, an F4S, an FM/MD12, a Nikonos V and a stack of MF Nikkors later, I'm somewhat in recovery, but poised to fall off the wagon again if the right item presents itself. Oh, the humanity!!</p>

<p>I can't add much to what's been said, I've got a battered old black FT which I did a post on a while back, and an FTn. Its almost impossible not to pick up and fire these cameras if only to feel the buttery smoothness of the action, and hear and the satisfying sound of the shutter tripping.</p>

Thanks for the explanation, Paul!<br><br>Nice camera, Rick.<br>I'm not a Nikonist either. In fact, have not been a 35 mm user anymore for too many years to remember, so it's unlikely that i will join you in joining the Nikonist ranks. But i still wouldn't mind the thing Brett mentioned: a nice Nikon F with plain prism. So if you decide Nikons are not the thing for you, come across one of those original Fs in the usual (for your finds, that is) pristine state for as little as what you appear to pick these great finds up for... let me know. ;-)<br>I keep being amazed at how you come up with such finds time and again. Was at my local camera store today, and all they had in their 'used'-cabinet were a bunch of overpriced, beaten up Canon digital 'Rebels' noone would ever want to have even when given away free.

<p>Welcome to the dark side Rick. Your FTn seems to be in top shape. It is a capable little camera and almost as good looking as the F with the plain prism, but good luck finding one of those for $30. And the Nikkormat has a meter to boot. As others have said (and your pictures show), the 50/2 is one of the best 50's Nikon has ever made. Now you've opened up a whole new world of Nikkor glass to buy! ;-)</p>

<blockquote>

<p>But i still wouldn't mind the thing Brett mentioned: a nice Nikon F with plain prism.</p>

</blockquote>

<p> <br>

<br>

<br /><br />They are things of great beauty. I have two Nikon Fs. One chrome and one black, both with matching metering prisms and one plain black prism. I think the black F with the black plain prism is one of the best looking 35mm SLRs ever made.</p>