Finally a more interesting Butterfly! But which is it?

Sandy Vongries

I used to get hundreds of Monarchs and other butterflies on my Sedum (Hylotelephium) telephium (locally known as Frogs' bellies). Now hardly a one and just a few Tiger swallowtails (the dark form ( female?), also different from previous years),

We're on a kind of ecotone, with both northern and southern critters and plants. However, the more northern spp. we used to have in insects, are now mostly replaced by more southerly spp over the last half century.

Sedum-4cacr.jpg.ab5e451955bc20ed26fc5dfa803c0386.jpg

(not a monarch or swallowtail)

Edited by JDMvW

I get the occasional Zebra Swallowtail - at least that is what they were called when I was a butterfly crazy kid, but for some reason, they just fly around fast and are gone before I can get to a camera, despite a lot of butterfly plants. We seem pretty stable here, water being more influential than temp, except at extremes. I suppose it is the fact we had lots of water & food, but comparatively few of the usual "yard birds" this year.

Now you're talking. The Zebra Swallowtails are my favorite of the Swallowtail family. I'm going to start planting PawPaw which is the food plant for the Zebra caterpillars. Every time I've seen one it's been in the vicinity of PawPaw's. Heres one from a few years ago.

1055398700_ZebraSwallowtail2.thumb.jpg.8ff4645a45ad82087f4cbf2f02efea71.jpg

• Like 2

Well, just goes to show you - memories from times long gone! Thanks for the photo - a dandy! Apparently, after seeing your butterfly and digging into the net - I have either Canadian Tiger or Two Tailed Swallowtail - haven't got close enough to see the detail differences - not a Zebra! Always delighted to be lead to learning something new.