FINALLY!! A digital F100! The D200 is here!

dan_daly1

I swear, I almost shed a tear when I finally got to read the

dpreview specs on the D200. You'll pry my F100 from my cold dead

hands, but I have wanted to go digital SLR for so long, and Nikon

never made the camera I was clamouring for. The D100 wasn't fast

enough (for sports shots), tough enough, or have the resolution (for

wedding shots) I wanted. The D2H didn't have the resolution, the

D70's veiwfinder was unbearable, (of course, none metered with my

old AIS glass) and I'd have had to sell a kindey to get a D2X.

After lamenting the D70, and seriously contemplating a switch

to Canon and it's 20D after decades with Nikon, I can finally have

the camera I've wanted since the dawn of the digital SLR. I AM

getting one, and probably with the 18-200 VR lens. Thank you Nikon!

It only took you 3 years to make the camera I've wanted. Today is a

happy day, I'm going to put my name of a list as soon as I can.

(Actually the local camera shop doesn't even have it in the

computer, so I have to wait to put my name on the wait list.)

Questions:

Will it have a black and white mode, similar to the 20D? I couldn't

figure it out bt reading the Nikon press release or the dpreview

article.

What Compact flash cards are "the standard" for this type of camera?

I currently only have SD cards. Dpreview mentions Sandisk Extreme

III 1 GB, good choice?

Where's the best place to get an SB-800?

Dan

Wow - Dan - your enthusiasm is quite heartening. However, it's one thing to be so excited (many are), but how an you possibly be so convinced about a camera you've never held before?

Good luck - hope the D200 meets your real-world expectations!

As for the SB-800, try the following NYC dealers:

Adorama; B&H Photo Video; 17th Street Photo

Excited Dan? It is nice to see this camera finally unveiled.

Although it will be awhile before it's available for purchase.

Black and White Mode: I doubt very seriously if it will have that

feature. The most efficient way to do that is through post

processing.

Compact Flash: I doubt if there are any "recommended" cards

out there yet for the D200. SanDisk Extreme are very good cards

and should work very well with this and other cameras. I have

used the Extreme cards without failure on all my digital CF

cameras.

SB-800: I bought through Adorama and B&H for my speedlights.

Those are my sources for Nikon peripherals, and have been very

happy with the transactions.

According to DPReview it does have a B&W mode. That said, it's pretty basic (Lacking the selectable filters of the 20d and Rebel XT) and I recomend converting in Post.

For CF cards, look at the SanDisk Ultra II or Extreme III's. At least 2 1GB cards if you plan on shooting seriously with it (And for Weddings, add a portable backup device like Epson's P-2000 so you can empty 1 card while shooting with the other).

For an SB-800, look at B&H, Adorama or Henry's.

Think Nikon announced it because it was leaked by accidental release onto web page anyways...

1. Which one is better?

Nikon D200 vs. Canon 5D

2. Has anyone tried to put those CF hard drives instead of those Sandisk Extreme CF cards? Which one is faster, and which one use more battery power?

3. I see the D200 still has the 1.5 lens factor... was hoping they would make it 1.0 lens factor instead...

Like everyone else I've been excited about the D200, and I've been thinking that I'd get

one in the spring. But I've been out & about taking a few shots with my D70 over the last

week and I'm wondering if I actually need to replace it. I'm still delighted with it.

So what are the reasons to upgrade? Well, first there's the resolution. OK, 10Mp is more

than 6Mp, but in practice I'd need to print at A3 to see much advantage. I can print on A4,

with a border, at 270 DPI with files from the D70, and to be honest that might be enough.

I was very interested to read comments by various people here (I think) that they

*downsize* files from their D2X cameras before printing. That seems to suggest that

12Mp is too much!

Viewfinder: well I'm one of those people who simply uses AF and who is therefore perfectly

content with the D70 VF as it is. If the D200 VF is better then fine, but for me that's not a

compelling reason tochange.

Weather-proofing: yes, this would be good.

Uses AI-S lenses: I don't have any of these, I'm a new Nikon user with the D70 so while I

can see the advantage to long-standing Nikonites, again it's not something of great value

to me.

Anything else? - hmm, I can't see anything...

So on reflection I'll carry on getting the best I can out of the D70 for a while. I think that

for me the importance of the D200 is that it re-affirms Nikon's committment to the mid-

sized sensor, and it tells me that it's safe to buy DX lenses etc because there will be

cameras around for a number of years on which I can use them.

The Ai-S metering advantage is not just for oldies. Check prices of 2nd hand special optics, and you'll see what the fuss is all about!

28/2, 35/1.4,105/2.5,, a 50/1.8 or 1.4 that actually can be manually focused smoothly and doesn't wobble in the viewfinder when you touch it, 400/3.5, etc. all of these goodies can be had for peanuts.

Why the hell would you want a B/W mode?

Any post processing software can desatuate a image to give you B/W. If you use post processing, you will still have the original raw image, with all the data, remaining. If you use in-camera B/W processing, you loose original color data that can never be recovered.

Touting B/W as a "feature" in DSLR is like touting the ability to no actually move under its own power as a "feature" of a car.

Has anyone heard anything concrete about the Multi-cam 1000? I read rumors that it's a modified 2000, but I don't understand the naming paradigm if that's the case. I have bodies with a Multi-cam 900 and 1300, and I don't think I could go back to the 900 full time...I know I'm spoiled. I read the entire dpreview for the d200, but I didn't see any mention of the AF speed/accuracy...maybe I skimmed too fast in my zeal. Anybody? Thanks.

> Why the hell would you want a B/W mode?

Now, now, Chuck. Let's keep the obsceneties to a mininum here.

The main reason for people to want b/w in the camera is that they come from the film world and thus expect to be limited by the camera. Also, being ex-film people they aren't familiar with computers and therefore fear having to sit in front of one to convert the shots to b/w.

You've got your explanation, so leave them alone.

The Marketing Brochure on the D200 lists the following:

The following cards have been tested and approved for use in the D200:

? SanDisk Corporation

SDCFB 128MB, 256MB, 512MB, 1GB, 2GB, 4GB

SDCFB (Type II) 300MB

SDCF2B (Type II) 256MB

SDCFH (Ultra II) 256MB, 512MB, 1GB, 2GB, 4GB, 8GB

SDCFX (Extreme III) 1GB, 2GB, 4GB

? Microdrive?

1GB, 2GB, 4GB, 6GB

? Lexar Media Corporation

Entry-level CompactFlash cards 128MB, 256MB, 512MB

High speed 40נwith Write Acceleration (WA) 256MB, 512MB, 1GB

Professional 40נwith WA 8GB

Professional 80נwith WA 512MB, 1GB, 2GB, 4GB

Professional 80נwith WA and LockTight technology 512MB, 2GB

Operation is not guaranteed with other makes of card. For more details on the above cards, please contact the manufacturer.

I want the B&W mode so that I never see the picture in color before I load it into Photoshop

for final processing. I find that this makes a big difference for me when evauating pictures

that I want to print monochrome.

Having the preview be B&W is a great way to have quick proofs... and then you can always

process the RAW file any way you want.

Not! A digital F100 will have a full-size sensor, high eyepoint viewfinder without a built-in flash, and no extra (needless in my opinion) bulk of the D2X/D2H. I don't want to carry a huge camera around when I shoot and have no need to. I'm still waiting for the digital F100. Should have at least 18mp, full-size sensor, etc. Maybe in two or three years. I'm content to wait it out.

Cheers,

Dave

> I have a stupid question. Why do Nikon's prosumer to pro cameras flash > sync a full stop slower than their consumer grade models. I was hoping > for the capability to sync at a speedy 1/500th.

> Anyone out there know why?

Because the consumer models use a hybrid or electronic shutter, made possible by the use of a CCD sensor. i read somewhere that the nature of CMOS makes it very difficult to implement an electronic shutter, but the trend in digital imaging sensors is towards CMOS... which means the reliance on traditional mechanical shutters, and the 1/250s limitation.

I'm so proud of Nikon, it really looks like they were listening to what their customers wanted in a D200. Yes, I know not everyone got what they wanted, but ISO 100, the ability to use AIS lenses, a metal body with weather seals, GPS, larger screen, improved viewfinder, and 10+ megapixels at less than $2k US is just super!

Dave,

Those sure are lofty expectations for a digital F100. especially considering that 35mm print film is only about equivalent to a 6MP sensor, and slide film maybe 12MP. regardless of what people say about scanning at 14MP/4000dpi, it's all grain at that resolution.

the F100 is viewed in relation to the F5. it's basically your 80/20 solution. and when viewed in that regard, the D200 is to the D2X, what the F100 is to the F5. how can you expect the D200 to be FF when the D2X isn't even FF? so yes, the D200 IS the digital F100 that many have been waiting for; there really is no argument in that regard.

you're basically asking Nikon to deliver a digital medium format cam in a 35mm body.

Regards,

Vinh

Well, if it is possible then it is understandable that people want it. After all medium format systems are large and don't have VR, have poor autofocus, teles are heavy and slow etc. etc. there is so much to be gained by using larger and higher-res sensors on our 35 mm lenses.

But the time isn't right for Nikon to bring it out yet. I don't mind - I think DX is great apart from the viewfinder.

I think Jim had reversed the meaning of it:

"The Flash Sync Speed of 1/250 max is for non-Nikon flashes only. You can sync up to 1/8000 with a SB-800."

If there is a CCD electronic shutter in D200, by analogy with D70/D50, so you can sync up to 1/250 on D200 (was 1/500 on D70 ) with Nikon SB-800, and up to 1/8000 with non-Nikon flashes.

Is that what you wanted to say Jim?

The D70 CCD electronic shutter sync feature was discovered down to 1/8000 with non-Nikon flashes, and was never advertised by Nikon.

Will that be the same case for D200? - we will see shortly.

If there is a FP mode on D200, so you can sync down to 1/8000 with FP compatible flash like SB-800. However, the SP mode drastically reduces flash max range, and is mostly used for close object pictures like portraits.

I am hoping for D200 to have ability to sync at full (Non-Nikon flash) flash power single shot, with down to 1/8000 sync, like it is possible with D70.