Filters or Photoshop?

I've been shooting SLR for about 4 years now, and have just recently gone digital. I went on a camping trip up in the

Cascade Mountains the other day and tried to get a good shot of two of the peaks at sunrise. I had the problem of an

overexposed sky and a correctly exposed landscape, or an underexposed landscape and a correctly exposed sky.

Basically, my question is, would most of you who shoot digital fix this problem in photoshop? Or would you use

some sort of filter? Thanks for all your input.

Either or both work. If I have a graduated ND filter, I might use it. Often it is not in my bag and I need to do more in Photoshop. There are good digital filters for this or you can just burn in the overexposed areas. Even with a glass filter, I usually adjust some more in Photoshop. The filter helps but it is not perfect.

I would expose so it would handle well in Paint Shop Pro but many who have the filters prefer to use them in the field. It must be a truely unusual situation to conform to a NDGrad make-up and Ronald says :-) Such as a tall and straight tree with the filter being used at 90 degrees for a sunrise as I saw once..

I bracket my shots and Photoshop so that's that. You have an infinite ways in which you can blend the exposures.

However, I still shoot a bit of film, so I'm at a lost why there are no "cheap" reverse grads that are needed for sunrise/sunsets.

You're looking at $200 or more for a Daryl Benson Singh-Ray variety.

• 2 weeks later...